Pneumococcal Serotypes Colonise the Nasopharynx in Children at Different Densities.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPneumococcal Serotypes Colonise the Nasopharynx in Children at Different Densities., 11 (9):e0163435 PLoS ONE
AbstractPrevalence of pneumococcal serotypes in carriage and disease has been described but absolute serotype colonisation densities have not been reported. 515 paediatric nasal swab DNA extracts were subjected to lytA qPCR and molecular serotyping by microarray. Absolute serotype densities were derived from total pneumococcal density (qPCR cycle threshold and standard curve) and relative abundance (microarray) and varied widely. Compared to all serotype densities observed, the strongest evidence of differences was seen for serotypes 21 and 35B (higher) and 3, 38 and non-typeables (lower) (p<0.05) with a similar hierarchy when only a single serotype carriage was assessed. There was no evidence of any overall density differences between children with single or multiple serotypes detected but serotypes with mid-range densities were more prevalent. The hierarchy of distinct pneumococcal serotype carriage densities described here for the first time, may help explain the dynamics of transmission between children.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Files
RightsArchived with thanks to PloS one
- Decline in Pneumococcal Nasopharyngeal Carriage of Vaccine Serotypes After the Introduction of the 13-Valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine in Children in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Authors: Desai AP, Sharma D, Crispell EK, Baughman W, Thomas S, Tunali A, Sherwood L, Zmitrovich A, Jerris R, Satola SW, Beall B, Moore MR, Jain S, Farley MM
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Pneumococcal carriage in children and adults two years after introduction of the thirteen valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in England.
- Authors: van Hoek AJ, Sheppard CL, Andrews NJ, Waight PA, Slack MP, Harrison TG, Ladhani SN, Miller E
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 23
- Emerging pneumococcal carriage serotypes in a high-risk population receiving universal 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and 23-valent polysaccharide vaccine since 2001.
- Authors: Leach AJ, Morris PS, McCallum GB, Wilson CA, Stubbs L, Beissbarth J, Jacups S, Hare K, Smith-Vaughan HC
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 4
- Dynamics of pneumococcal nasopharyngeal carriage in healthy children attending a day care center in northern Spain. Influence of detection techniques on the results.
- Authors: Ercibengoa M, Arostegi N, Marimón JM, Alonso M, Pérez-Trallero E
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 22
- Declining serotype coverage of new pneumococcal conjugate vaccines relating to the carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in young children.
- Authors: Tocheva AS, Jefferies JM, Rubery H, Bennett J, Afimeke G, Garland J, Christodoulides M, Faust SN, Clarke SC
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 10