Community participation and environment of children with and without autism spectrum disorder: parent perspectives.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCommunity participation and environment of children with and without autism spectrum disorder: parent perspectives. 2017, 24 (3):187-196 Scand J Occup Ther
AbstractThis study explored parent perspectives of participation patterns and environmental supports and barriers for high-functioning children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) within their communities compared with a group of children without ASD.
The Participation and Environment Measure for Children and Youth was used to gather online data from parents of 99 children with ASD and 241 children without ASD. Mann-Whitney U test and chi-square tests were used to explore differences between groups and Cohen's d was calculated to examine effect sizes.
Significant differences between children with and without ASD were observed for all participation and environment summary scores. Children with ASD participated less frequently, were less involved, and their parents were less satisfied with their child's participation in community-based activities. Parents of children with ASD also identified fewer supports for their child's participation and more environmental barriers than other parents.
Children with ASD participated less in community-related activities than children without ASD as perceived by their parents. Barriers limiting community participation included features of the social and physical environment and limited resources.
Occupational therapists should focus on decreasing environmental challenges in their efforts to facilitate participation of children with ASD in the community.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
RightsArchived with thanks to Scandinavian journal of occupational therapy
- Parent perspectives on home participation of high-functioning children with autism spectrum disorder compared with a matched group of children without autism spectrum disorder.
- Authors: Egilson ST, Jakobsdóttir G, Ólafsdóttir LB
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Community participation of youth with intellectual disability and autism spectrum disorder.
- Authors: Tint A, Maughan AL, Weiss JA
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- [Autism spectrum disorder and evaluation of perceived stress parents and professionals: Study of the psychometric properties of a French adaptation of the Appraisal of Life Event Scale (ALES-vf)].
- Authors: Cappe É, Poirier N, Boujut É, Nader-Grosbois N, Dionne C, Boulard A
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Barriers to dental care for children with autism spectrum disorder.
- Authors: Barry S, O'Sullivan EA, Toumba KJ
- Issue date: 2014 Apr