Formulations and toxicologic in vivo studies of aqueous cyclosporin A eye drops with cyclodextrin nanoparticles.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Kristinsson, Johannes K
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFormulations and toxicologic in vivo studies of aqueous cyclosporin A eye drops with cyclodextrin nanoparticles. 2017, 529 (1-2):486-490 Int J Pharm
AbstractCyclosporin A (CyA) is an immunosuppressive drug used topically to treat ocular inflammatory disorder such as dry eye disease (DES). It is a lipophilic cyclic peptide with molecular weight of 1202.6Da. The aim of this study was to develop surfactant free aqueous 0.2% (w/v) CyA eye drops where the drug is present in an aqueous vehicle containing CyA/cyclodextrin (CyA/CD) nanoparticles and then do three-month toxicological testing in rabbits. Five formulations of different CD concentrations were studied, all of them contained 12.5% (w/v) of α-cyclodextrin (αCD) and various amounts of γ-cyclodextrin (γCD) (ranging from 0 to 12.5% w/v). αCD was used to solubilize the drug and γCD to promote formation of complex aggregates. CyA/CD complex aggregates were formed in all the formulations tested. However, the formulation containing 12.5% (w/v) αCD and 12.5% (w/v) γCD created more CyA/CD nanoparticles of suitable size and was therefore tested in vivo. The eye drops did not cause ocular irritation or toxic side effects upon topical administration to rabbits once or twice a day for three months.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Files
RightsArchived with thanks to International journal of pharmaceutics
- Development of a cyclodextrin-based aqueous cyclosporin A eye drop formulations.
- Authors: Jóhannsdóttir S, Jansook P, Stefánsson E, Loftsson T
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 30
- Cyclodextrin-poloxamer aggregates as nanocarriers in eye drop formulations: dexamethasone and amphotericin B.
- Authors: Jansook P, Pichayakorn W, Muankaew C, Loftsson T
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- [The immunosuppressive effects of 0.025% cyclosporin eye drops in alpha cyclodextrin on rabbit corneal allografts].
- Authors: Takano T, Kobayashi C, Alba RM, Kanai A
- Issue date: 1992 Jul
- The effect on the cornea of alpha cyclodextrin vehicle for cyclosporin eye drops.
- Authors: Kanai A, Alba RM, Takano T, Kobayashi C, Nakajima A, Kurihara K, Yokoyama T, Fukami M
- Issue date: 1989 Feb
- Bioavailability and anticataract effects of a topical ocular drug delivery system containing disulfiram and hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin on selenite-treated rats.
- Authors: Wang S, Li D, Ito Y, Nabekura T, Wang S, Zhang J, Wu C
- Issue date: 2004 Jul