Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPolycystic ovary morphology: age-based ultrasound criteria. 2017, 108 (3):548-553 Fertil. Steril.
AbstractTo determine age-based criteria for polycystic ovary morphology.
Cross-sectional, case-control design.
Women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) defined by hyperandrogenism and irregular menses (n = 544) and controls with regular menses and no evidence of hyperandrogenism (n = 666) participated. Parameters were tested in a second cohort of women with PCOS (n = 105) and controls (n = 32) meeting the same criteria.
Subjects underwent a pelvic ultrasound documenting ovarian volume and maximum follicle number in a single plane.
A receiver operating characteristic curve was constructed to determine the ovarian volume and follicle number with the best sensitivity and specificity to define PCOS for age groups at approximately 5-year intervals from age 18 to >44 years.
The best sensitivity and specificity were obtained using a threshold volume of 12 mL and 13 follicles for ages ≤24 years, 10 mL and 14 follicles for ages 25-29 years, 9 mL and 10 follicles for ages 30-34 years, 8 mL and 10 follicles for ages 35-39 years, 10 mL and 9 follicles for ages 40-44 years, and 6 mL and 7 follicles for ages >44 years. Data from a second cohort confirmed the need to decrease volume and follicle number with increasing age to diagnose PCOS. Polycystic ovary morphology was most accurate at predicting the PCOS diagnosis for women ages 30-39 years.
The ovarian volume and follicle number threshold to define polycystic ovary morphology should be lowered starting at age 30.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
RightsArchived with thanks to Fertility and sterility
- Updated ultrasound criteria for polycystic ovary syndrome: reliable thresholds for elevated follicle population and ovarian volume.
- Authors: Lujan ME, Jarrett BY, Brooks ED, Reines JK, Peppin AK, Muhn N, Haider E, Pierson RA, Chizen DR
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Criteria for polycystic ovarian morphology in polycystic ovary syndrome as a function of age.
- Authors: Alsamarai S, Adams JM, Murphy MK, Post MD, Hayden DL, Hall JE, Welt CK
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Polycystic ovarian morphology and the diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome: redefining threshold levels for follicle count and serum anti-Müllerian hormone using cluster analysis.
- Authors: Lie Fong S, Laven JSE, Duhamel A, Dewailly D
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in Adolescents: Which MR Imaging-based Diagnostic Criteria?
- Authors: Fondin M, Rachas A, Huynh V, Franchi-Abella S, Teglas JP, Duranteau L, Adamsbaum C
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Ultrasound features of polycystic ovaries relate to degree of reproductive and metabolic disturbance in polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Authors: Christ JP, Vanden Brink H, Brooks ED, Pierson RA, Chizen DR, Lujan ME
- Issue date: 2015 Mar