Decreasing prevalence of transmitted drug resistance among ART-naive HIV-1-infected patients in Iceland, 1996-2012.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Şahin, Gülşen Özkaya
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDecreasing prevalence of transmitted drug resistance among ART-naive HIV-1-infected patients in Iceland, 1996-2012. 2017, 7 (1):1328964 Infect Ecol Epidemiol
AbstractIntroduction: Resistance to antiretroviral drugs can complicate the management of HIV-1 infection and impair control of its spread. The aim of the current study was to investigate the prevalence and transmission of HIV-1 drug resistance among 106 antiretroviral therapy (ART)-naïve patients diagnosed in Iceland (1996-2012).Methods:HIV-1 polymerase sequences were analysed using the Calibrated Population Resistance tool. Domestic spread of transmitted drug resistance (TDR) was investigated through maximum likelihood and Bayesian approaches.Results:Among ART-naïve patients, the prevalence of TDR to any of the following classes (NRTIs, NNRTIs and PIs) was 8.5% (95% CI: 4.5%- 15.4%): 6.6% to NRTIs, 0.9% to NNRTIs, and 1.9% to PIs. The most frequent NRTI mutation detected was T215C/D (n=7, 5.7%). The only NNRTI mutation detected was K103N (n=1, 0.9%). PI mutations detected were M46I (n=1, 0.9%) and L90M (n=1, 0.9%). Six patients harbouring T215C/D, were linked in a supported phylogenetic cluster. No significant association was found between TDR and demographic or risk groups. Trend analysis showed a decrease in the prevalence of TDR (1996-2012, p=0.003).Conclusions:TDR prevalence in Iceland was at a moderate level and decreased during 1996-2012. Screening for TDR is recommended to limit its local spread and to optimize HIV-1 therapy.Abbreviations: ART: Anti-retroviral therapy; ARV: antiretroviral; ATV/r: atazanavir/ritonavir; AZT: azidothymidine; BEAST: Bayesian evolutionary analysis by sampling trees; CI: confidence interval; CPR: calibrated population resistance; CRF: circulating recombinant form; d4T: stavudine; EFV: efavirenz; FET: Fishers' exact test; FPV/r: fosamprenavir/ritonavir; HET: heterosexual; IDU: injection drug use; IDV/r: indinavir/ritonavir; LPV/r: lopinavir/ritonavir; MSM: men who have sex with men; M-W: Mann-WhitneyUtest; NFV: nelfinavir; NNRTIs: non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors; NRTIs: nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors; NVP: nevirapine; PIs: protease inhibitors;pol: polymerase gene; SDRM: surveillance drug resistance mutation; SQV/r: saquinavir/ritonavir; TDR: transmitted drug resistance.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Files
RightsArchived with thanks to Infection ecology & epidemiology
- Surveillance of HIV-1 pol transmitted drug resistance in acutely and recently infected antiretroviral drug-naïve persons in rural western Kenya.
- Authors: Onywera H, Maman D, Inzaule S, Auma E, Were K, Fredrick H, Owiti P, Opollo V, Etard JF, Mukui I, Kim AA, Zeh C
- Issue date: 2017
- Incidence of transmitted antiretroviral drug resistance in treatment-naive HIV-1-infected persons in a large South Central United States clinic.
- Authors: Kleyn TJ, Liedtke MD, Harrison DL, Lockhart SM, Salvaggio MR, Ripley TL, Rathbun RC
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Prevalence and persistence of transmitted drug resistance mutations in the German HIV-1 Seroconverter Study Cohort.
- Authors: Machnowska P, Meixenberger K, Schmidt D, Jessen H, Hillenbrand H, Gunsenheimer-Bartmeyer B, Hamouda O, Kücherer C, Bannert N, German HIV-1 Seroconverter Study Group.
- Issue date: 2019
- Increase in HIV-1-transmitted drug resistance among ART-naïve youths at the China-Myanmar border during 2009 ~ 2017.
- Authors: Ding Y, Chen M, Wang J, Yang Y, Feng Y, Wang L, Duan S, Lin Q, Xing H, Ma Y, Han M, Ma L
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 21
- HIV pretreatment drug resistance among cisgender MSM and transgender women from Lima, Peru.
- Authors: Trebelcock WL, Lama JR, Duerr A, Sanchez H, Cabello R, Gilada T, Segura P, Reisner SL, Mayer KH, Mullins J, Bender Ignacio RA
- Issue date: 2019 Nov