Glucocorticoid use and factors associated with variability in this use in the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics Inception Cohort.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Hanly, John G
Urowitz, Murray B
Clarke, Ann E
Wallace, Daniel J
Merrill, Joan T
Isenberg, David A
Ginzler, Ellen M
Dooley, Mary Anne
Gladman, Dafna D
Khamashta, Munther A
Alarcón, Graciela S
Zoma, Asad A
van Vollenhoven, Ronald F
Sam Lim, Sung
Kalunian, Kenneth C
Kamen, Diane L
Peschken, Christine A
Bruce, Ian N
MetadataShow full item record
CitationGlucocorticoid use and factors associated with variability in this use in the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics Inception Cohort. 2018, 57 (4):677-687 Rheumatology (Oxford)
AbstractTo describe glucocorticoid (GC) use in the SLICC inception cohort and to explore factors associated with GC use. In particular we aimed to assess temporal trends in GC use and to what extent physician-related factors may influence use.
Patients were recruited within 15 months of diagnosis of SLE from 33 centres between 1999 and 2011 and continue to be reviewed annually. Descriptive statistics were used to detail oral and parenteral GC use. Cross sectional and longitudinal analyses were performed to explore factors associated with GC use at enrolment and over time.
We studied 1700 patients with a mean (s.d.) follow-up duration of 7.26 (3.82) years. Over the entire study period, 1365 (81.3%) patients received oral GCs and 447 (26.3%) received parenteral GCs at some point. GC use was strongly associated with treatment centre, age, race/ethnicity, sex, disease duration and disease activity. There was no change in the proportion of patients on GCs or the average doses of GC used over time according to year of diagnosis.
GCs remain a cornerstone in SLE management and there have been no significant changes in their use over the past 10-15 years. While patient and disease factors contribute to the variation in GC use, between-centre differences suggest that physician-related factors also contribute. Evidence-based treatment algorithms are needed to inform a more standardized approach to GC use in SLE.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
RightsArchived with thanks to Rheumatology (Oxford, England)
- Evolution of disease burden over five years in a multicenter inception systemic lupus erythematosus cohort.
- Authors: Urowitz MB, Gladman DD, Ibañez D, Fortin PR, Bae SC, Gordon C, Clarke A, Bernatsky S, Hanly JG, Isenberg D, Rahman A, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Wallace DJ, Ginzler E, Alarcón GS, Merrill JT, Bruce IN, Sturfelt G, Nived O, Steinsson K, Khamashta M, Petri M, Manzi S, Ramsey-Goldman R, Dooley MA, van Vollenhoven RF, Ramos M, Stoll T, Zoma A, Kalunian K, Aranow C
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Cumulative Burden of Glucocorticoid-related Adverse Events in Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Findings from a 12-year Longitudinal Study.
- Authors: Chen HL, Shen LJ, Hsu PN, Shen CY, Hall SA, Hsiao FY
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Factors associated with damage accrual in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: results from the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics (SLICC) Inception Cohort.
- Authors: Bruce IN, O'Keeffe AG, Farewell V, Hanly JG, Manzi S, Su L, Gladman DD, Bae SC, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Romero-Diaz J, Gordon C, Wallace DJ, Clarke AE, Bernatsky S, Ginzler EM, Isenberg DA, Rahman A, Merrill JT, Alarcón GS, Fessler BJ, Fortin PR, Petri M, Steinsson K, Dooley MA, Khamashta MA, Ramsey-Goldman R, Zoma AA, Sturfelt GK, Nived O, Aranow C, Mackay M, Ramos-Casals M, van Vollenhoven RF, Kalunian KC, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Lim S, Kamen DL, Peschken CA, Inanc M, Urowitz MB
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Clinical associations of the metabolic syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosus: data from an international inception cohort.
- Authors: Parker B, Urowitz MB, Gladman DD, Lunt M, Bae SC, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Romero-Diaz J, Gordon C, Wallace DJ, Clarke AE, Bernatsky S, Ginzler EM, Isenberg DA, Rahman A, Merrill JT, Alarcón GS, Fessler BJ, Fortin PR, Hanly JG, Petri M, Steinsson K, Dooley MA, Manzi S, Khamashta MA, Ramsey-Goldman R, Zoma AA, Sturfelt GK, Nived O, Aranow C, Mackay M, Ramos-Casals M, van Vollenhoven RF, Kalunian KC, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Lim S, Kamen DL, Peschken CA, Inanc M, Bruce IN
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Severe disease presentation and poor outcomes among pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus patients in South Africa.
- Authors: Lewandowski LB, Schanberg LE, Thielman N, Phuti A, Kalla AA, Okpechi I, Nourse P, Gajjar P, Faller G, Ambaram P, Reuter H, Spittal G, Scott C
- Issue date: 2017 Feb