Genome-wide analyses using UK Biobank data provide insights into the genetic architecture of osteoarthritis.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Hartwig, Fernando P
Boer, Cindy G
Babis, George C
Uitterlinden, Andre G
van Meurs, Joyce B J
Davey Smith, George
Wilkinson, Jeremy M
MetadataShow full item record
CitationGenome-wide analyses using UK Biobank data provide insights into the genetic architecture of osteoarthritis. 2018, 50 (4):549-558 Nat. Genet.
AbstractOsteoarthritis is a common complex disease imposing a large public-health burden. Here, we performed a genome-wide association study for osteoarthritis, using data across 16.5 million variants from the UK Biobank resource. After performing replication and meta-analysis in up to 30,727 cases and 297,191 controls, we identified nine new osteoarthritis loci, in all of which the most likely causal variant was noncoding. For three loci, we detected association with biologically relevant radiographic endophenotypes, and in five signals we identified genes that were differentially expressed in degraded compared with intact articular cartilage from patients with osteoarthritis. We established causal effects on osteoarthritis for higher body mass index but not for triglyceride levels or genetic predisposition to type 2 diabetes.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
RightsArchived with thanks to Nature genetics
- Identification of new therapeutic targets for osteoarthritis through genome-wide analyses of UK Biobank data.
- Authors: Tachmazidou I, Hatzikotoulas K, Southam L, Esparza-Gordillo J, Haberland V, Zheng J, Johnson T, Koprulu M, Zengini E, Steinberg J, Wilkinson JM, Bhatnagar S, Hoffman JD, Buchan N, Süveges D, arcOGEN Consortium., Yerges-Armstrong L, Smith GD, Gaunt TR, Scott RA, McCarthy LC, Zeggini E
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- An atlas of genetic associations in UK Biobank.
- Authors: Canela-Xandri O, Rawlik K, Tenesa A
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Genetic Analysis of Venous Thromboembolism in UK Biobank Identifies the ZFPM2 Locus and Implicates Obesity as a Causal Risk Factor.
- Authors: Klarin D, Emdin CA, Natarajan P, Conrad MF, INVENT Consortium., Kathiresan S
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Novel insights into the genetics of smoking behaviour, lung function, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (UK BiLEVE): a genetic association study in UK Biobank.
- Authors: Wain LV, Shrine N, Miller S, Jackson VE, Ntalla I, Soler Artigas M, Billington CK, Kheirallah AK, Allen R, Cook JP, Probert K, Obeidat M, Bossé Y, Hao K, Postma DS, Paré PD, Ramasamy A, UK Brain Expression Consortium (UKBEC)., Mägi R, Mihailov E, Reinmaa E, Melén E, O'Connell J, Frangou E, Delaneau O, OxGSK Consortium., Freeman C, Petkova D, McCarthy M, Sayers I, Deloukas P, Hubbard R, Pavord I, Hansell AL, Thomson NC, Zeggini E, Morris AP, Marchini J, Strachan DP, Tobin MD, Hall IP
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- A genome-wide cross-trait analysis from UK Biobank highlights the shared genetic architecture of asthma and allergic diseases.
- Authors: Zhu Z, Lee PH, Chaffin MD, Chung W, Loh PR, Lu Q, Christiani DC, Liang L
- Issue date: 2018 Jun