Integrating nurse-facilitated advance care planning for patients newly diagnosed with advanced lung cancer.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsÓlafsdóttir, Kristin Lara
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIntegrating nurse-facilitated advance care planning for patients newly diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. 2018, 24 (4):170-177 Int J Palliat Nurs
AbstractAdvance care planning (ACP) is well recognised as an important component of palliative care. However, there is still a need to explore ways in which it can become a part of routine practice, ensuring a timely and person-centred discussion.
To explore patients newly diagnosed with advanced lung cancer and their family members' experiences of engaging in a person-centred and structured ACP discussion facilitated by palliative care nurses in an outpatient oncology clinic at the University Hospital of Iceland.
An exploratory qualitative design employing semi-structured interviews and thematic analysis. The intervention included a structured ACP discussion, aided by a booklet.
Key themes emerged describing families' and patients' experiences and highlighted that the timing and approach of the ACP discussion was appropriate and helpful, even though the discussion was sensitive and difficult. Using a routine approach with a flexible structure normalised the discussion and made it easier for the patients to take the lead in the discussion.
ACP discussion can be part of an integrated palliative care and oncology service if implemented in a systematic way.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
RightsArchived with thanks to International journal of palliative nursing
- Patient experiences of nurse-facilitated advance care planning in a general practice setting: a qualitative study.
- Authors: Miller H, Tan J, Clayton JM, Meller A, Hermiz O, Zwar N, Rhee J
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 6
- Social and structural conditions for the avoidance of advance care planning in neuro-oncology: a qualitative study.
- Authors: Llewellyn H, Neerkin J, Thorne L, Wilson E, Jones L, Sampson EL, Townsley E, Low JTS
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 31
- A qualitative study of health care professionals' views and experiences of paediatric advance care planning.
- Authors: Jack BA, Mitchell TK, O'Brien MR, Silverio SA, Knighting K
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 13
- Advance care planning conversations with palliative patients: looking through the GP's eyes.
- Authors: Wichmann AB, van Dam H, Thoonsen B, Boer TA, Engels Y, Groenewoud AS
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 28
- Advance care planning for patients with inoperable lung cancer.
- Authors: Horne G, Seymour J, Shepherd K
- Issue date: 2006 Apr