Streptococcus pneumoniae: Antimicrobial Resistance and Serotypes of Strains Carried by Children and Causing Invasive Disease in the Faroe Islands.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsMagnussen, Marita Debess
Kristinsson, Karl G
MetadataShow full item record
CitationStreptococcus pneumoniae: Antimicrobial Resistance and Serotypes of Strains Carried by Children and Causing Invasive Disease in the Faroe Islands. 2018 Microb. Drug Resist.
AbstractKnowledge about pneumococcal carriage, antibacterial resistance, serotype prevalence, and prevalence of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) after introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines (PCVs) is lacking in the Faroe Islands. PCV-7 was introduced in 2008 and PCV-13 in 2010. The aim was to obtain knowledge on serotypes and antimicrobial resistance in pneumococci from carriage in children attending day-care centers (DCCs) and invasive isolates. Nasopharyngeal swabs were collected from 607 healthy children attending DCCs in the Faroe Islands in January to March in 2009, 2010, and 2011. Pneumococci were cultured selectively, tested for antibacterial susceptibility, and serotyped. Data from IPD isolates from 1974 to 2016 from the Department of Microbiology, National Hospital of the Faroe Islands, and typed and stored at Staten Serum Institute were also analyzed. Of the 607 screened children, 45% were pneumococcal carriers, 50% in 2009, 40% in 2010, and 42% in 2011. Antibiotic resistance in pneumococci was rare both in carriers and patients. Five penicillin nonsusceptible pneumococci were found in carriers (1.8%) and one among the invasive isolates (1.7%). The most common serotypes in carriage were 6B and 6A in 2009, serotype 3 and 6C in 2010, and serotype 11 and 6C in 2011. Serotype 6B was not found in 2011. The most common serotypes among IPD were 7F and 3. Pneumococcal carriage prevalence in healthy children attending DCCs in the Faroe Islands was low and antibacterial resistance was rare, compared with Iceland. The results suggest a possible serotype shift, reduction in antibacterial use, and PCV-7/13 serotype decrease in IPD after the introduction of pneumococcal vaccinations in children.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
RightsArchived with thanks to Microbial drug resistance (Larchmont, N.Y.)
- Effect of Vaccination on Pneumococci Isolated from the Nasopharynx of Healthy Children and the Middle Ear of Children with Otitis Media in Iceland.
- Authors: Quirk SJ, Haraldsson G, Erlendsdóttir H, Hjálmarsdóttir MÁ, van Tonder AJ, Hrafnkelsson B, Sigurdsson S, Bentley SD, Haraldsson Á, Brueggemann AB, Kristinsson KG
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Changes in the Serotype Distribution among Antibiotic Resistant Carriage Streptococcus pneumoniae Isolates in Children after the Introduction of the Extended-Valency Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine.
- Authors: Lee JK, Yun KW, Choi EH, Kim SJ, Lee SY, Lee HJ
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Nasopharyngeal carriage, serotype distribution and antimicrobial resistance of Streptococcus pneumoniae among children from Brazil before the introduction of the 10-valent conjugate vaccine.
- Authors: Neves FP, Pinto TC, Corrêa MA, dos Anjos Barreto R, de Souza Gouveia Moreira L, Rodrigues HG, Cardoso CA, Barros RR, Teixeira LM
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 13
- Serotype distribution and antimicrobial susceptibilities of nasopharyngeal isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae from healthy children in the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine era.
- Authors: Zuccotti G, Mameli C, Daprai L, Garlaschi ML, Dilillo D, Bedogni G, Faccini M, Gramegna M, Torresani E, PneuMi Study Group (PMSG)., Ballerini E, Benincaso A, Bonvissuto M, Bricalli D, Brioschi M, Calloni CS, Camiletti MI, Colella G, De Angelis L, Decarlis S, Di Nello F, Dozzi M, Galli E, Gandini V, Giuliani MG, Laviola F, Loda B, Macedoni M, Mazzucchi E, Metta MG, Moscatiello A, Nannini P, Petruzzi M, Picicco D, Picciotti M, Pisanelli S, Porta N, Ramponi G, Redaelli F, Rubini R, Sala N, Saitta V, Scelza G, Tiso RM, Tomasetto M, Torcoletti M, Travaini M, Valentini M, Vessia C
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 23
- Epidemiological and molecular characterization of Streptococcus pneumoniae carriage strains in pre-school children in Arkhangelsk, northern European Russia, prior to the introduction of conjugate pneumococcal vaccines.
- Authors: Vorobieva S Jensen V, Furberg AS, Slotved HC, Bazhukova T, Haldorsen B, Caugant DA, Sundsfjord A, Valentiner-Branth P, Simonsen GS
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 15