Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRetinal oximetry is affected in multiple sclerosis. 2018, 96(5): 528-530 Acta ophthalmologica
AbstractStructural and physiological abnormalities have been reported in the retina in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS). Retinal oximetry has recently detected changes in retinal oxygen metabolism in Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment. Our goal was to determine whether oxygen saturation in retinal blood vessels of patients with patients is different from that of a healthy population. Oxygen saturation of haemoglobin was measured in retinal blood vessels, using imaging with spectrophotometric noninvasive retinal oximeter. Eight MS patients with history of optic neuritis were measured and compared to 22 healthy individuals matched in age and gender. Venular oxygen saturation was increased in patients with MS compared to healthy individuals (70.7 ± 3.4% versus 66.2 ± 4.7; p = 0.021, mean ± SD). The arteriovenous (AV) difference was lower in patients with MS compared to healthy (26.6 ± 3.6% versus 30.5 ± 4.8%; p = 0.049). There was no difference measured in arterioles when patients with MS (97.3 ± 1.7%) and healthy individuals (96.7 ± 2.8%) were compared. Increased venular oxygen saturation and lower AV difference in patients with MS may indicate reduced oxygen uptake. This may be due to less oxygen demand following atrophy and may be a useful objective biomarker for MS. Further studies are needed to confirm and expand these findings.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- Retinal oximetry and systemic arterial oxygen levels.
- Authors: Eliasdottir TS
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Retinal oximetry images must be standardized: a methodological analysis.
- Authors: Palsson O, Geirsdottir A, Hardarson SH, Olafsdottir OB, Kristjansdottir JV, Stefánsson E
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 2
- Retinal vessel oxygen saturation in a healthy young Chinese population.
- Authors: Yang W, Fu Y, Dong Y, Lin L, Huang X, Li Y, Lin X, Gao Q
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Retinal oximetry measures systemic hypoxia in central nervous system vessels in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Authors: Eliasdottir TS, Bragason D, Hardarson SH, Vacchiano C, Gislason T, Kristjansdottir JV, Kristjansdottir G, Stefánsson E
- Issue date: 2017
- Retinal oximetry imaging in Alzheimer's disease.
- Authors: Einarsdottir AB, Hardarson SH, Kristjansdottir JV, Bragason DT, Snaedal J, Stefánsson E
- Issue date: 2016