The prevalence of chronic airflow obstruction in three cities in the Nordic-Baltic region.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Burney, Peter G J
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe prevalence of chronic airflow obstruction in three cities in the Nordic-Baltic region. 2018, 143:8-13 Respiratory medicine
AbstractChronic airflow obstruction (CAO) is the primary characteristic of Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) but is also seen in chronic asthma. To compare the prevalence of CAO and possible risk factors between Tartu in Estonia, Reykjavik in Iceland and Uppsala in Sweden. All participants underwent spirometry testing of forced expiratory volume in 1 s (FEV 1037 men and 956 women participated in the study. The prevalence of CAO was lower in women in Tartu compared to the other centres (4.9% vs. 13.4 and 8.7% in Reykjavik and Uppsala, respectively, p = 0.002) while no difference was found for men. A similar picture was seen for the proportion of participants that had smoked 10 pack years or more which was much lower in Tartu for women than in Reykjavik and Uppsala, respectively (13.2% vs. 33.7 and 29.2%, p < 0.001). (Fig. 1). Of the participants with CAO the majority (57-67%) did not have a previous diagnosis of asthma or COPD.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- Chronic Airflow Obstruction in a Black African Population: Results of BOLD Study, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
- Authors: Obaseki DO, Erhabor GE, Gnatiuc L, Adewole OO, Buist SA, Burney PG
- Issue date: 2016
- Prevalence of airflow obstruction in nonsmoking older individuals using different spirometric criteria: the AGES Reykjavik Study.
- Authors: Runarsdottir SB, Gudmundsson G, Aspelund T, Harris TB, Launer LJ, Gudnason V, Gislason T
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Chronic airway obstruction in a population-based adult asthma cohort: Prevalence, incidence and prognostic factors.
- Authors: Backman H, Jansson SA, Stridsman C, Muellerova H, Wurst K, Hedman L, Lindberg A, Rönmark E
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Measures of bronchodilator response of FEV<sub>1</sub>, FVC and SVC in a Swedish general population sample aged 50-64 years, the SCAPIS Pilot Study.
- Authors: Torén K, Bake B, Olin AC, Engström G, Blomberg A, Vikgren J, Hedner J, Brandberg J, Persson HL, Sköld CM, Rosengren A, Bergström G, Janson C
- Issue date: 2017
- Impact of active and passive smoking as risk factors for asthma and COPD in women presenting to primary care in Syria: first report by the WHO-GARD survey group.
- Authors: Mohammad Y, Shaaban R, Al-Zahab BA, Khaltaev N, Bousquet J, Dubaybo B
- Issue date: 2013