Recovery of Kidney Function in Children Treated with Maintenance Dialysis.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Lungu, Adrian C
Sinha, Manish D
Groothoff, Jaap W
Jager, Kitty J
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRecovery of Kidney Function in Children Treated with Maintenance Dialysis. 2018, 13(10):1510-1516 Clin J Am Soc Nephrol
AbstractData on recovery of kidney function in pediatric patients with presumed ESKD are scarce. We examined the occurrence of recovery of kidney function and its determinants in a large cohort of pediatric patients on maintenance dialysis in Europe. Data for 6574 patients from 36 European countries commencing dialysis at an age below 15 years, between 1990 and 2014 were extracted from the European Society for Pediatric Nephrology/European Renal Association-European Dialysis and Transplant Association Registry. Recovery of kidney function was defined as discontinuation of dialysis for at least 30 days. Time to recovery was studied using a cumulative incidence competing risk approach and adjusted Cox proportional hazard models. Two years after dialysis initiation, 130 patients (2%) experienced recovery of their kidney function after a median of 5.0 (interquartile range, 2.0-9.6) months on dialysis. Compared with patients with congenital anomalies of the kidney and urinary tract, recovery more often occurred in patients with vasculitis (11% at 2 years; adjusted hazard ratio [HR], 20.4; 95% confidence interval [95% CI], 9.7 to 42.8), ischemic kidney failure (12%; adjusted HR, 11.4; 95% CI, 5.6 to 23.1), and hemolytic uremic syndrome (13%; adjusted HR, 15.6; 95% CI, 8.9 to 27.3). Younger age and initiation on hemodialysis instead of peritoneal dialysis were also associated with recovery. For 42 patients (32%), recovery was transient as they returned to kidney replacement therapy after a median recovery period of 19.7 (interquartile range, 9.0-41.3) months. We demonstrate a recovery rate of 2% within 2 years after dialysis initiation in a large cohort of pediatric patients on maintenance dialysis. There is a clinically important chance of recovery in patients on dialysis with vasculitis, ischemic kidney failure, and hemolytic uremic syndrome, which should be considered when planning kidney transplantation in these children.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- Infants Requiring Maintenance Dialysis: Outcomes of Hemodialysis and Peritoneal Dialysis.
- Authors: Vidal E, van Stralen KJ, Chesnaye NC, Bonthuis M, Holmberg C, Zurowska A, Trivelli A, Da Silva JEE, Herthelius M, Adams B, Bjerre A, Jankauskiene A, Miteva P, Emirova K, Bayazit AK, Mache CJ, Sánchez-Moreno A, Harambat J, Groothoff JW, Jager KJ, Schaefer F, Verrina E, ESPN/ERA-EDTA Registry.
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Racial Disparities in Access to and Outcomes of Kidney Transplantation in Children, Adolescents, and Young Adults: Results From the ESPN/ERA-EDTA (European Society of Pediatric Nephrology/European Renal Association-European Dialysis and Transplant Association) Registry.
- Authors: Tjaden LA, Noordzij M, van Stralen KJ, Kuehni CE, Raes A, Cornelissen EA, O'Brien C, Papachristou F, Schaefer F, Groothoff JW, Jager KJ, ESPN/ERA-EDTA Registry Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Mortality risk in European children with end-stage renal disease on dialysis.
- Authors: Chesnaye NC, Schaefer F, Groothoff JW, Bonthuis M, Reusz G, Heaf JG, Lewis M, Maurer E, Paripović D, Zagozdzon I, van Stralen KJ, Jager KJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Outcomes of renal replacement therapy in boys with prune belly syndrome: findings from the ESPN/ERA-EDTA Registry.
- Authors: Yalcinkaya F, Bonthuis M, Erdogan BD, van Stralen KJ, Baiko S, Chehade H, Maxwell H, Montini G, Rönnholm K, Sørensen SS, Ulinski T, Verrina E, Weber S, Harambat J, Schaefer F, Jager KJ, Groothoff JW
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Dialysis and transplantation among Aboriginal children with kidney failure.
- Authors: Samuel SM, Foster BJ, Tonelli MA, Nettel-Aguirre A, Soo A, Alexander RT, Crowshoe L, Hemmelgarn BR, Pediatric Renal Outcomes Canada Group.
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 12