Dampness, mould, onset and remission of adult respiratory symptoms, asthma and rhinitis.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Bertelsen, Randi J
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDampness, mould, onset and remission of adult respiratory symptoms, asthma and rhinitis. 2019, 53(5). pii: 1801921 Eur Respir J
AbstractSTUDY QUESTION: Is dampness and indoor mould associated with onset and remission of respiratory symptoms, asthma and rhinitis among adults? MATERIALS AND METHODS: Associations between dampness, mould and mould odour at home and at work and respiratory health were investigated in a cohort of 11 506 adults from Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Estonia. They answered a questionnaire at baseline and 10 years later, with questions on respiratory health, home and work environment. RESULTS: Baseline water damage, floor dampness, mould and mould odour at home were associated with onset of respiratory symptoms and asthma (OR 1.23-2.24). Dampness at home during follow-up was associated with onset of respiratory symptoms, asthma and rhinitis (OR 1.21-1.52). Dampness at work during follow-up was associated with onset of respiratory symptoms, asthma and rhinitis (OR 1.31-1.50). Combined dampness at home and at work increased the risk of onset of respiratory symptoms and rhinitis. Dampness and mould at home and at work decreased remission of respiratory symptoms and rhinitis. THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION: Dampness and mould at home and at work can increase onset of respiratory symptoms, asthma and rhinitis, and decrease remission.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- Dampness and mold at home and at work and onset of insomnia symptoms, snoring and excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Authors: Wang J, Janson C, Lindberg E, Holm M, Gislason T, Benediktsdóttir B, Johannessen A, Schlünssen V, Jogi R, Franklin KA, Norbäck D
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Home dampness, current allergic diseases, and respiratory infections among young adults.
- Authors: Kilpeläinen M, Terho EO, Helenius H, Koskenvuo M
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- Prevalence and incidence of respiratory symptoms in relation to indoor dampness: the RHINE study.
- Authors: Gunnbjörnsdóttir MI, Franklin KA, Norbäck D, Björnsson E, Gislason D, Lindberg E, Svanes C, Omenaas E, Norrman E, Jõgi R, Jensen EJ, Dahlman-Höglund A, Janson C, RHINE Study Group.
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Onset and remission of childhood wheeze and rhinitis across China - Associations with early life indoor and outdoor air pollution.
- Authors: Norbäck D, Lu C, Zhang Y, Li B, Zhao Z, Huang C, Zhang X, Qian H, Sun Y, Sundell J, Juan W, Liu W, Deng Q
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Exposure to visible mould or dampness at home and sleep problems in children: Results from the LISAplus study.
- Authors: Tiesler CM, Thiering E, Tischer C, Lehmann I, Schaaf B, von Berg A, Heinrich J
- Issue date: 2015 Feb