Food Allergy in Adults: Substantial Variation in Prevalence and Causative Foods Across Europe.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsLyons, Sarah A
Burney, Peter G J
Ballmer-Weber, Barbara K
Kowalski, Marek L
Mustakov, Tihomir B
Lebens, Ans F M
van Os-Medendorp, Harmieke
Papadopoulos, Nikolaos G
Popov, Todor A
Welsing, Paco M J
Mills, E N Clare
van Ree, Ronald
Knulst, André C
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFood Allergy in Adults: Substantial Variation in Prevalence and Causative Foods Across Europe. 2019, 7(6):1920-1928 J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract
AbstractBACKGROUND: According to the community-based EuroPrevall surveys, prevalence of self-reported food allergy (FA) in adults across Europe ranges from 2% to 37% for any food and 1% to 19% for 24 selected foods. OBJECTIVE: To determine the prevalence of probable FA (symptoms plus specific IgE-sensitization) and challenge-confirmed FA in European adults, along with symptoms and causative foods. METHODS: In phase I of the EuroPrevall project, a screening questionnaire was sent to a random sample of the general adult population in 8 European centers. Phase II consisted of an extensive questionnaire on reactions to 24 preselected commonly implicated foods, and measurement of specific IgE levels. Multiple imputation was performed to estimate missing symptom and serology information for nonresponders. In the final phase, subjects with probable FA were invited for double-blind placebo-controlled food challenge. RESULTS: Prevalence of probable FA in adults in Athens, Reykjavik, Utrecht, Lodz, Madrid, and Zurich was respectively 0.3%, 1.4%, 2.1%, 2.8%, 3.3%, and 5.6%. Oral allergy symptoms were reported most frequently (81.6%), followed by skin symptoms (38.2%) and rhinoconjunctivitis (29.5%). Hazelnut, peach, and apple were the most common causative foods in Lodz, Utrecht, and Zurich. Peach was also among the top 3 causative foods in Athens and Madrid. Shrimp and fish allergies were relatively common in Madrid and Reykjavik. Of the 55 food challenges performed, 72.8% were classified as positive. CONCLUSIONS: FA shows substantial geographical variation in prevalence and causative foods across Europe. Although probable FA is less common than self-reported FA, prevalence still reaches almost 6% in parts of Europe.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- Prevalence of Food Sensitization and Food Allergy in Children Across Europe.
- Authors: Lyons SA, Clausen M, Knulst AC, Ballmer-Weber BK, Fernandez-Rivas M, Barreales L, Bieli C, Dubakiene R, Fernandez-Perez C, Jedrzejczak-Czechowicz M, Kowalski ML, Kralimarkova T, Kummeling I, Mustakov TB, Papadopoulos NG, Popov TA, Xepapadaki P, Welsing PMJ, Potts J, Mills ENC, van Ree R, Burney PGJ, Le TM
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- The prevalence and distribution of food sensitization in European adults.
- Authors: Burney PG, Potts J, Kummeling I, Mills EN, Clausen M, Dubakiene R, Barreales L, Fernandez-Perez C, Fernandez-Rivas M, Le TM, Knulst AC, Kowalski ML, Lidholm J, Ballmer-Weber BK, Braun-Fahlander C, Mustakov T, Kralimarkova T, Popov T, Sakellariou A, Papadopoulos NG, Versteeg SA, Zuidmeer L, Akkerdaas JH, Hoffmann-Sommergruber K, van Ree R
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Prevalence of food sensitization and probable food allergy among adults in India: the EuroPrevall INCO study.
- Authors: Mahesh PA, Wong GW, Ogorodova L, Potts J, Leung TF, Fedorova O, Holla AD, Fernandez-Rivas M, Clare Mills EN, Kummeling I, Versteeg SA, van Ree R, Yazdanbakhsh M, Burney P
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Hazelnut allergy across Europe dissected molecularly: A EuroPrevall outpatient clinic survey.
- Authors: Datema MR, Zuidmeer-Jongejan L, Asero R, Barreales L, Belohlavkova S, de Blay F, Bures P, Clausen M, Dubakiene R, Gislason D, Jedrzejczak-Czechowicz M, Kowalski ML, Knulst AC, Kralimarkova T, Le TM, Lovegrove A, Marsh J, Papadopoulos NG, Popov T, Del Prado N, Purohit A, Reese G, Reig I, Seneviratne SL, Sinaniotis A, Versteeg SA, Vieths S, Zwinderman AH, Mills C, Lidholm J, Hoffmann-Sommergruber K, Fernández-Rivas M, Ballmer-Weber B, van Ree R
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- The EuroPrevall surveys on the prevalence of food allergies in children and adults: background and study methodology.
- Authors: Kummeling I, Mills ENC, Clausen M, Dubakiene R, Pérez CF, Fernández-Rivas M, Knulst AC, Kowalski ML, Lidholm J, Le TM, Metzler C, Mustakov T, Popov T, Potts J, Van Ree R, Sakellariou A, Töndury B, Tzannis K, Burney P
- Issue date: 2009 Oct