Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy. A nationwide population-based study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSudden unexpected death in epilepsy. A nationwide population-based study. 2019, doi: 10.1111/epi.16349 Epilepsia
ÚtdrátturOBJECTIVE: The incidence of sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP) varies between studies. We determined the incidence of SUDEP in the entire Icelandic population during a 20-year period. METHODS: All individuals in Iceland with epilepsy who died unexpectedly from January 1, 1991 through December 31, 2010 were included. Case ascertainment was based on autopsies, reimbursement for antiepileptic drugs, death certificates, information from neurologists, and medical records. The incidence of SUDEP was calculated according to the total number of residents in Iceland during the study period and an estimated epilepsy population of Iceland. RESULTS: We identified 37 individuals (26 men, 11 women) with definite SUDEP (n = 29), definite SUDEP plus (n = 4), and probable SUDEP (n = 4). Incidence of SUDEP was 0.6 per 100 000 person-years for the general population, and higher among men. The estimated incidence of SUDEP in the epilepsy population was 1.3 per 1000 person-years. SUDEP accounted for 0.1% of all deaths in Iceland during the study period. SIGNIFICANCE: SUDEP is an important cause of death in working-age people. This study provides the incidence of SUDEP in an unselected population of an entire country. The SUDEP incidence in the epilepsy population is comparable to that of previous studies.
Lu00FDsingTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP) in New Zealand; a retrospective review.
- Authors: Brennan M, Scott S, Bergin P
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 17
- Autopsy-reported cause of death in a population-based cohort of sudden unexpected death in epilepsy.
- Authors: Keller AE, Ho J, Whitney R, Li SA, Williams AS, Pollanen MS, Donner EJ
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- The incidence of SUDEP: A nationwide population-based cohort study.
- Authors: Sveinsson O, Andersson T, Carlsson S, Tomson T
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 11
- Temporal trends and autopsy findings of SUDEP based on medico-legal investigations in the United States.
- Authors: Cihan E, Devinsky O, Hesdorffer DC, Brandsoy M, Li L, Fowler DR, Graham JK, Karlovich MW, Yang JE, Keller AE, Donner EJ, Friedman D
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 18
- Decreasing SUDEP incidence in a tertiary epilepsy center between 1981 and 2016: Effects of better patient supervision.
- Authors: Schulz R, Bien CG, May TW
- Issue date: 2019 Mar