Innovative strategies for the elimination of viral hepatitis at a national level: A country case series.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsSchröeder, Sophia E
't Hoen, Ellen
Hutchinson, Sharon J
Lazarus, Jeffrey V
Binti Mohamed, Rosmawati
Sohn, Annette H
Spearman, Catherine W
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInnovative strategies for the elimination of viral hepatitis at a national level: A country case series. 2019, 39(10):1818-1836 Liver Int
AbstractViral hepatitis is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide, but has long been neglected by national and international policymakers. Recent modelling studies suggest that investing in the global elimination of viral hepatitis is feasible and cost-effective. In 2016, all 194 member states of the World Health Organization endorsed the goal to eliminate viral hepatitis as a public health threat by 2030, but complex systemic and social realities hamper implementation efforts. This paper presents eight case studies from a diverse range of countries that have invested in responses to viral hepatitis and adopted innovative approaches to tackle their respective epidemics. Based on an investment framework developed to build a global investment case for the elimination of viral hepatitis by 2030, national activities and key enablers are highlighted that showcase the feasibility and impact of concerted hepatitis responses across a range of settings, with different levels of available resources and infrastructural development. These case studies demonstrate the utility of taking a multipronged, public health approach to: (a) evidence-gathering and planning; (b) implementation; and (c) integration of viral hepatitis services into the Agenda for Sustainable Development. They provide models for planning, investment and implementation strategies for other countries facing similar challenges and resource constraints.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Download
- Chronic viral hepatitis: policy, regulation, and strategies for its control and elimination in Ethiopia.
- Authors: Shiferaw F, Letebo M, Bane A
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 11
- Global hepatitis C elimination: an investment framework.
- Authors: Pedrana A, Howell J, Scott N, Schroeder S, Kuschel C, Lazarus JV, Atun R, Baptista-Leite R, 't Hoen E, Hutchinson SJ, Aufegger L, Peck R, Sohn AH, Swan T, Thursz M, Lesi O, Sharma M, Thwaites J, Wilson DP, Hellard M
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Accelerating the elimination of viral hepatitis: a Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology Commission.
- Authors: Cooke GS, Andrieux-Meyer I, Applegate TL, Atun R, Burry JR, Cheinquer H, Dusheiko G, Feld JJ, Gore C, Griswold MG, Hamid S, Hellard ME, Hou J, Howell J, Jia J, Kravchenko N, Lazarus JV, Lemoine M, Lesi OA, Maistat L, McMahon BJ, Razavi H, Roberts T, Simmons B, Sonderup MW, Spearman CW, Taylor BE, Thomas DL, Waked I, Ward JW, Wiktor SZ, Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology Commissioners.
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Additional resource needs for viral hepatitis elimination through universal health coverage: projections in 67 low-income and middle-income countries, 2016-30.
- Authors: Tordrup D, Hutin Y, Stenberg K, Lauer JA, Hutton DW, Toy M, Scott N, Bulterys M, Ball A, Hirnschall G
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Addressing barriers to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of hepatitis B and C in the face of persisting fiscal constraints in Europe: report from a high level conference.
- Authors: Papatheodoridis G, Thomas HC, Golna C, Bernardi M, Carballo M, Cornberg M, Dalekos G, Degertekin B, Dourakis S, Flisiak R, Goldberg D, Gore C, Goulis I, Hadziyannis S, Kalamitsis G, Kanavos P, Kautz A, Koskinas I, Leite BR, Malliori M, Manolakopoulos S, Matičič M, Papaevangelou V, Pirona A, Prati D, Raptopoulou-Gigi M, Reic T, Robaeys G, Schatz E, Souliotis K, Tountas Y, Wiktor S, Wilson D, Yfantopoulos J, Hatzakis A
- Issue date: 2016 Feb