The need for an adapted initiation nomogram during Fiix prothrombin time monitoring of warfarin.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationOnundarson, P.T. & Gudmundsdottir, B.R. J Thromb Thrombolysis (2019) 48: 685-689. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11239-019-01928-4
AbstractThe new Fiix prothrombin time (Fiix-PT) and its derived Fiix-normalized ratio (Fiix-NR) is affected only by reductions in coagulation factors (F) II and X, the two factors responsible for the antithrombotic effect of vitamin K antagonists (VKA). Due to insensitivity to reductions in the short half-life FVII, the Fiix-NR rises later than standard PT-INR during warfarin initiation. To describe a warfarin initiation nomogram adapted for monitoring with Fiix-NR, anticoagulation development was assessed during use of standard PT-INR based initiation nomogram and after adapting the initiation nomogram for Fiix-NR monitoring. Normalized ratios were retrospectively assessed in consecutive warfarin naïve patients during their first 60 days of warfarin intake for one year prior to (PT-INR period) and for one year after replacing the PT-INR with the Fiix-NR (Fiix-NR period). The INR target was NR 2.0-3.0. We evaluated 160 patients monitored with PT-INR and dosed with the PT-nomogram, 57 monitored with Fiix-INR but dosed with PT-nomogram, and 163 Fiix-NR monitored patients dosed using a new Fiix nomogram. Mean PT-INR over 2.0 was reached on day 7 during the PT-period and remained around 2.5 thereafter. When the PT-nomogram continued in use during Fiix-monitoring significantly more patients became overanticoagulated during days 11-29. After the nomogram was modified to respond to rising Fiix-NR with larger initial dose reduction, the mean Fiix-NR reached over 2 on day 8-9 and remained around 2.5 thereafter. When warfarin is monitored with Fiix-NR, an adjusted dosing nomogram should be used during initiation to prevent early overanticoagulation.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- During warfarin induction, the Fiix-prothrombin time reflects the anticoagulation level better than the standard prothrombin time.
- Authors: Jonsson PI, Letertre L, Juliusson SJ, Gudmundsdottir BR, Francis CW, Onundarson PT
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Reduced anticoagulation variability in patients on warfarin monitored with Fiix-prothrombin time associates with reduced thromboembolism: The Fiix-trial.
- Authors: Oskarsdóttir AR, Gudmundsdottir BR, Indridason OS, Lund SH, Arnar DO, Bjornsson ES, Magnusson MK, Jensdottir HM, Vidarsson B, Francis CW, Onundarson PT
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Fiix-prothrombin time versus standard prothrombin time for monitoring of warfarin anticoagulation: a single centre, double-blind, randomised, non-inferiority trial.
- Authors: Onundarson PT, Francis CW, Indridason OS, Arnar DO, Bjornsson ES, Magnusson MK, Juliusson SJ, Jensdottir HM, Vidarsson B, Gunnarsson PS, Lund SH, Gudmundsdottir BR
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Critical role of factors II and X during coumarin anticoagulation and their combined measurement with a new Fiix-prothrombin time.
- Authors: Gudmundsdottir BR, Francis CW, Bjornsdottir AM, Nellbring M, Onundarson PT
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Fiix-prothrombin time monitoring improves warfarin anticoagulation outcome in atrial fibrillation: a systematic review of randomized trials comparing Fiix-warfarin or direct oral anticoagulants to standard PT-warfarin.
- Authors: Onundarson PT, Arnar DO, Lund SH, Gudmundsdottir BR, Francis CW, Indridason OS
- Issue date: 2016 May