Treatment response and drug retention rates in 24 195 biologic-naïve patients with axial spondyloarthritis initiating TNFi treatment: routine care data from 12 registries in the EuroSpA collaboration.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsØrnbjerg, Lykke Midtbøll
Brahe, Cecilie Heegaard
Kristianslund, Eirik Klami
Santos, Maria Jose
Di Giuseppe, Daniela
Nissen, Michael J
Eklund, Kari Kalervo
Geirsson, Árni Jón
Loft, Anne Gitte
van der Horst-Bruinsma, Irene
Krogh, Niels Steen
Hetland, Merete Lund
MetadataShow full item record
CitationØrnbjerg LM, Brahe CH, Askling J, et alTreatment response and drug retention rates in 24 195 biologic-naïve patients with axial spondyloarthritis initiating TNFi treatment: routine care data from 12 registries in the EuroSpA collaborationAnnals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2019;78:1536-1544.
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To study drug retention and response rates in patients with axial spondyloarthritis (axSpA) initiating a first tumour necrosis factor inhibitor (TNFi). METHODS: Data from 12 European registries, prospectively collected in routine care, were pooled. TNFi retention rates (Kaplan-Meier statistics), Ankylosing Spondylitis Disease Activity Score (ASDAS) Inactive disease (<1.3), Bath Ankylosing Spondylitis Disease Activity Index (BASDAI) <40 mm and Assessment of SpondyloArthritis International Society responses (ASAS 20/40) were assessed at 6, 12 and 24 months. RESULTS: A first TNFi was initiated in 24 195 axSpA patients. Heterogeneity of baseline characteristics between registries was observed. Twelve-month retention was 80% (95% CI 79% to 80%), ranging from 71% to 94% across registries. At 6 months, ASDAS Inactive disease/BASDAI<40 rates were 33%/72% (LUNDEX-adjusted: 27%/59%), ASAS 20/40 response rates 64%/49% (LUNDEX-adjusted 52%/40%). In patients initiating first TNFi after 2009, 6097 patients was registered to fulfil ASAS criteria for axSpA, 2935 was registered to fulfil modified New York Criteria for Ankylosing Spondylitis and 1178 patients was registered as having non-radiographic axSpA. In nr-axSpA patients, we observed lower 12-month retention rates (73% (70%-76%)) and lower 6-month LUNDEX adjusted response rates (ASDAS Inactive disease/BASDAI40 20%/50%, ASAS 20/40 45%/33%). For patients initiating first TNFi after 2014, 12-month retention rate, but not 6-month response rate, was numerically higher compared with patients initiating TNFi in 2009-2014. CONCLUSION: A large European database of patients with axSpA initiating a first TNFi treatment in routine care, demonstrated that 27% of patients achieved ASDAS inactive disease after 6 months, while 59% achieved BASDAI <40. Four of five patients continued treatment after 1 year.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- Ankylosing Spondylitis versus Nonradiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis: Comparison of Tumor Necrosis Factor Inhibitor Effectiveness and Effect of HLA-B27 Status. An Observational Cohort Study from the Nationwide DANBIO Registry.
- Authors: Glintborg B, Sørensen IJ, Østergaard M, Dreyer L, Mohamoud AA, Krogh NS, Hendricks O, Andersen LS, Raun JL, Kowalski MR, Danielsen L, Pelck R, Nordin H, Pedersen JK, Kraus DG, Christensen SR, Hansen IM, Esbesen J, Schlemmer A, Loft AG, Al Chaer N, Salomonsen L, Hetland ML
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Different drug survival of first line tumour necrosis factor inhibitors in radiographic and non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis: a multicentre retrospective survey.
- Authors: Lopalco G, Venerito V, Cantarini L, Emmi G, Salaffi F, Di Carlo M, Tafuri S, Gentileschi S, Di Scala G, Nivuori M, Cacciapaglia F, Galeazzi M, Lapadula G, Iannone F
- Issue date: 2019 Sep-Oct
- Drug retention, inactive disease and response rates in 1860 patients with axial spondyloarthritis initiating secukinumab treatment: routine care data from 13 registries in the EuroSpA collaboration.
- Authors: Michelsen B, Lindström U, Codreanu C, Ciurea A, Zavada J, Loft AG, Pombo-Suarez M, Onen F, Kvien TK, Rotar Z, Santos MJ, Iannone F, Hokkanen AM, Gudbjornsson B, Askling J, Ionescu R, Nissen MJ, Pavelka K, Sanchez-Piedra C, Akar S, Sexton J, Tomsic M, Santos H, Sebastiani M, Österlund J, Geirsson AJ, Macfarlane G, van der Horst-Bruinsma I, Georgiadis S, Brahe CH, Ørnbjerg LM, Hetland ML, Østergaard M
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Retention and response rates in 14 261 PsA patients starting TNF inhibitor treatment-results from 12 countries in EuroSpA.
- Authors: Brahe CH, Ørnbjerg LM, Jacobsson L, Nissen MJ, Kristianslund EK, Mann H, Santos MJ, Reino JG, Nordström D, Rotar Z, Gudbjornsson B, Onen F, Codreanu C, Lindström U, Möller B, Kvien TK, Pavelka K, Barcelos A, Sánchez-Piedra C, Eklund KK, Tomšič M, Love TJ, Can G, Ionescu R, Loft AG, van der Horst-Bruinsma IE, Macfarlane GJ, Iannone F, Hyldstrup LH, Krogh NS, Østergaard M, Hetland ML
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 1
- Tumor Necrosis Factor-α Inhibition in Ankylosing Spondylitis and Nonradiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis: Treatment Response, Drug Survival, and Patient Outcome.
- Authors: Corli J, Flipo RM, Philippe P, Bera-Louville A, Béhal H, Wibaux C, Paccou J
- Issue date: 2015 Dec