Pulmonary carcinoid tumours: incidence, histology, and surgical outcome. A population-based study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Fridriksson, Bjorn M
Isaksson, Helgi J
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPetursdottir A, Sigurdardottir J, Fridriksson BM, Johnsen A, Isaksson HJ, Hardardottir H, et al. Pulmonary carcinoid tumours: incidence, histology, and surgical outcome. A population-based study. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019.doi:10.1007/s11748-019-01261-w.
AbstractBACKGROUND: Pulmonary carcinoids (PCs) represent only a minority of all primary pulmonary malignancies but they are the most common type of pulmonary malignancy diagnosed in children and adolescents. In this nationwide study, we analyzed data on all PC tumours in the Icelandic population over a 60-year period and concentrated especially on incidence and patient outcomes. METHODS: We studied all cases of PCs diagnosed in Iceland in the period 1955‒2015. Histological specimens were re-evaluated and the tumours were staged according to the TNM system (seventh edition). Survival was estimated using the Kaplan-Meier method, with a mean follow-up of 15.7 years. RESULTS: Altogether, 88 patients (median age 51.0 years, 65.9% women) were diagnosed with PCs in the study period. The incidence increased from 0.19/100,000/year in the first decade (1955‒1964) to 0.58/100,000/year in the last decade (2005‒2015), with a mean increase of 29.0% per decade of the study period (p < 0.001). The rise in incidental detection was, however, not significant. The median tumour diameter was 2.2 cm (range 0.4‒7.0) and typical histology was seen in 74 patients (84.1%). The other 14 patients (15.9%) had atypical histology. In all, 90.9% of the patients underwent pulmonary resection, 81.2% of them with lobectomy, with all of them surviving at least 30 days postoperatively. Most patients (n = 52, 62.7%) were stage IA at diagnosis, 15 (18.1%) were stage IB, nine (10.8%) were stage IIA, and three were stage IIIA (3.6%). Four patients (4.8%) had distant metastases (stage IV), two of whom had typical histology. Five-year survival was 89.8% for all patients: 93.2% for patients with typical histology and 70.7% for those with atypical histology. CONCLUSION: The incidence of PCs in Iceland has increased significantly over the last six decades, which cannot be explained by a rise in incidental detection at chest imaging. Most patients have localized disease and a favourable histology, where the long-term outcome is excellent.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- [Histology does not accurately predict the clinical behaviour of bronchopulmonary carcinoids - results from an Icelandic population-based study].
- Authors: Sigurdardottir JM, Isaksson HJ, Johannsson KB, Jonsson S, Gudbjartsson T
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Clinical-radiological presentation and outcome of surgically treated pulmonary carcinoid tumours: a long-term single institution experience.
- Authors: Schrevens L, Vansteenkiste J, Deneffe G, De Leyn P, Verbeken E, Vandenberghe T, Demedts M
- Issue date: 2004 Jan
- Improvement in TNM staging of pulmonary neuroendocrine tumors requires histology and regrouping of tumor size.
- Authors: Cattoni M, Vallières E, Brown LM, Sarkeshik AA, Margaritora S, Siciliani A, Filosso PL, Guerrera F, Imperatori A, Rotolo N, Farjah F, Wandell G, Costas K, Mann C, Hubka M, Kaplan S, Farivar AS, Aye RW, Louie BE
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Thymic epithelial tumours in Iceland: incidence and histopathology, a population-based study.
- Authors: Mariusdottir E, Nikulasson S, Bjornsson J, Gudbjartsson T
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Italian cancer figures, report 2012: Cancer in children and adolescents.
- Authors: AIRTUM Working Group., CCM., AIEOP Working Group.
- Issue date: 2013 Jan-Feb