Post cholecystectomy bile duct injury: early, intermediate or late repair with hepaticojejunostomy - an E-AHPBA multi-center study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsRystedt, Jenny M. L.
Besselink, Mark G.
Abu Hilal, M.
Bonsing, B. A.
Boonstra, E. A.
De Gelder, A.
De Rose, A. M.
Gallagher, T. K.
Haraldsdottir, K. H.
Mirza, D. F.
Oldhafer, K. J.
Omoshoro-Jones, J. A. O.
Porte, R. J.
Prieto Calvo, M.
Siriwardena, A. K.
Smith, M. D.
Silva, Sousa D.
Stavrou, G. A.
Sutcliffe, R. P.
van Gulik, T.
A European-African HepatoPancreatoBiliary Association (E-AHPBA) Research Collaborative Study management group; Other members of the European-African HepatoPancreatoBiliary Association Research Collaborative.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPost cholecystectomy bile duct injury: early, intermediate or late repair with hepaticojejunostomy - an E-AHPBA multi-center study. HPB (Oxford). 2019;21(12):1641-7.doi:10.1016/j.hpb.2019.04.003.
AbstractBACKGROUND: Treatment of bile duct injuries (BDI) during cholecystectomy depends on the severity of injury and the timing of diagnosis. Standard of care for severe BDIs is hepaticojejunostomy. The aim of this retrospective multi-center study was to assess the optimal timing for repair of BDI with hepaticojejunostomy. METHODS: Members of the European-African HepatoPancreatoBiliary Association were invited to report all consecutive patients with hepaticojejunostomy after BDI from January 2000 to June 2016. Patients were stratified according to the timing of biliary reconstruction with hepaticojejunostomy: early (day 0-7), intermediate (1-6 weeks) and late (6 weeks-6 months). Primary endpoint was re-intervention >90 days after the hepaticojejunostomy and secondary endpoints were severe 90-day complications and liver-related mortality. RESULTS: In total 913 patients from 48 centers were included in the analysis. In 401 patients (44%) the bile duct injury was diagnosed intraoperatively, and 126 patients (14%) suffered from concomitant vascular injury. In multivariable analysis the timing of hepaticojejunostomy had no impact on postoperative complications, the need for re-intervention after 90 days nor liver-related mortality. The rate of re-intervention more than 90 days after the hepaticojejunostomy was significantly increased in male patients but decreased in older patients. Severe co-morbidity increased the risk for liver-related mortality (HR 3.439; CI 1.37-8.65; p = 0.009). CONCLUSION: After BDI occurring during cholecystectomy, the timing of biliary reconstruction with hepaticojejunostomy did not have any impact on severe postoperative complications, the need for re-intervention or liver-related mortality. Individualised treatment after iatrogenic bile duct injury is still advisable.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
RightsCopyright © 2019 International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association Inc. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Long-term results of large diameter hepaticojejunostomy for treatment of Bile Duct Injuries following cholecystectomy.
- Authors: Akaraviputh T, Boonnuch W, Lohsiriwat V, Methasate A, Chinswangwatanakul V, Lert-akayamanee N, Lohsiriwat D
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Long-term follow-up of 120 patients after hepaticojejunostomy for treatment of post-cholecystectomy bile duct injuries: A retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: AbdelRafee A, El-Shobari M, Askar W, Sultan AM, El Nakeeb A
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Bile duct injuries: management of late complications.
- Authors: de Santibañes E, Palavecino M, Ardiles V, Pekolj J
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Long-term follow-up and risk factors for strictures after hepaticojejunostomy for bile duct injury: An analysis of surgical and percutaneous treatment in a tertiary center.
- Authors: Booij KAC, Coelen RJ, de Reuver PR, Besselink MG, van Delden OM, Rauws EA, Busch OR, van Gulik TM, Gouma DJ
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Long-term outcome after early repair of iatrogenic bile duct injury. A national Danish multicentre study.
- Authors: Stilling NM, Fristrup C, Wettergren A, Ugianskis A, Nygaard J, Holte K, Bardram L, Sall M, Mortensen MB
- Issue date: 2015 May