Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Sigurdsson, Martin Ingi
Christensen, Thomas Decker
Riber, Lars Peter Schoedt
MetadataShow full item record
CitationGudbjartsson T, Helgadottir S, Sigurdsson MI, et al. New-onset postoperative atrial fibrillation after heart surgery. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2019;00:1–11. https ://doi.org/10.1111/aas.13507
AbstractBACKGROUND: New-onset postoperative atrial fibrillation (poAF) complicates approximately 20-60% of all cardiac surgical procedures and is associated with an increased periprocedural mortality and morbitity, prolonged hospital stay, increased costs, and worse long-term survival. Unfortunately multiple advances in surgery and perioperative care over the last two decades have not led to a reduction in the incidence of poAF or associated complications in the daily clinical practice. METHODS: A narrative review of the available literature was performed. RESULTS: An extensive review of the pathophysiology of poAF following cardiac surgery, clinical, and procedural risk-factors is provided, as well as prophylactic measures and treatment. CONCLUSION: Multiple strategies to prevent and manage poAF following heart surgery already exist. Our hope is that this review will facilitate more rigorous testing of prevention strategies, implementation of prophylaxis regimens as well as optimal treatment of this common and serious complication.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
Rights© 2019 The Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica Foundation. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Postoperative atrial fibrillation following cardiac surgery: a persistent complication.
- Authors: Greenberg JW, Lancaster TS, Schuessler RB, Melby SJ
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 1
- Postoperative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing non-cardiac non-thoracic surgery: A practical approach for the hospitalist.
- Authors: Joshi KK, Tiru M, Chin T, Fox MT, Stefan MS
- Issue date: 2015
- Improving Incidence of Postoperative Atrial Fibrillation After Cardiac Surgery Using Simplified Clinical Practice Guidelines.
- Authors: Omar AS, Ewila H, Allam M, Aboulnagah S, Hanoura S, Sivadasan PC, Bilal O, Pattath ARA, AlKhulaifi A
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- The changing face of postoperative atrial fibrillation prevention: a review of current medical therapy.
- Authors: Mayson SE, Greenspon AJ, Adams S, Decaro MV, Sheth M, Weitz HH, Whellan DJ
- Issue date: 2007 Sep-Oct
- Pharmacological strategies for prevention of postoperative atrial fibrillation.
- Authors: Turagam MK, Downey FX, Kress DC, Sra J, Tajik AJ, Jahangir A
- Issue date: 2015 Mar