Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Sigurdsson, Martin Ingi
Christensen, Thomas Decker
Riber, Lars Peter Schoedt
MetadataShow full item record
CitationGudbjartsson T, Helgadottir S, Sigurdsson MI, et al. New-onset postoperative atrial fibrillation after heart surgery. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2019;00:1–11. https ://doi.org/10.1111/aas.13507
AbstractBACKGROUND: New-onset postoperative atrial fibrillation (poAF) complicates approximately 20-60% of all cardiac surgical procedures and is associated with an increased periprocedural mortality and morbitity, prolonged hospital stay, increased costs, and worse long-term survival. Unfortunately multiple advances in surgery and perioperative care over the last two decades have not led to a reduction in the incidence of poAF or associated complications in the daily clinical practice. METHODS: A narrative review of the available literature was performed. RESULTS: An extensive review of the pathophysiology of poAF following cardiac surgery, clinical, and procedural risk-factors is provided, as well as prophylactic measures and treatment. CONCLUSION: Multiple strategies to prevent and manage poAF following heart surgery already exist. Our hope is that this review will facilitate more rigorous testing of prevention strategies, implementation of prophylaxis regimens as well as optimal treatment of this common and serious complication.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
Rights© 2019 The Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica Foundation. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Postoperative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing non-cardiac non-thoracic surgery: A practical approach for the hospitalist.
- Authors: Joshi KK, Tiru M, Chin T, Fox MT, Stefan MS
- Issue date: 2015
- Management of postoperative atrial fibrillation and subsequent outcomes in contemporary patients undergoing cardiac surgery: insights from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons CAPS-Care Atrial Fibrillation Registry.
- Authors: Steinberg BA, Zhao Y, He X, Hernandez AF, Fullerton DA, Thomas KL, Mills R, Klaskala W, Peterson ED, Piccini JP
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Posterior Left pericardiotomy for the prevention of postoperative Atrial fibrillation after Cardiac Surgery (PALACS): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Abouarab AA, Leonard JR, Ohmes LB, Lau C, Rong LQ, Ivascu NS, Pryor KO, Munjal M, Crea F, Massetti M, Sanna T, Girardi LN, Gaudino M
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 13
- Postoperative atrial fibrillation following cardiac surgery: a persistent complication.
- Authors: Greenberg JW, Lancaster TS, Schuessler RB, Melby SJ
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 1
- Postoperative Atrial Fibrillation: Year 2011 Review of Predictive and Preventative Factors of Atrial Fibrillation Post Cardiac Surgery.
- Authors: Attaran S, Punjabi PP, Anderson J
- Issue date: 2012 Oct-Nov