Soluble urokinase plasminogen activator receptor (suPAR) levels predict damage accrual in patients with recent-onset systemic lupus erythematosus.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Urowitz, Murray B
Gladman, Dafna D
Fortin, Paul R
Clarke, Ann E
Hanly, John G
Wallace, Daniel J
Isenberg, David A
Merrill, Joan T
Alarcón, Graciela S
Chatham, W Winn
Dooley, Mary Anne
Zoma, Asad A
Lim, S Sam
Kalunian, Kenneth C
van Vollenhoven, Ronald F
Kamen, Diane L
Peschken, Christine A
Bruce, Ian N
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEnocsson H, Wirestam L, Dahle C, et al. Soluble urokinase plasminogen activator receptor (suPAR) levels predict damage accrual in patients with recent-onset systemic lupus erythematosus. J Autoimmun. 2020;106:102340. doi:10.1016/j.jaut.2019.102340
AbstractObjective: The soluble urokinase plasminogen activator receptor (suPAR) has potential as a prognosis and severity biomarker in several inflammatory and infectious diseases. In a previous cross-sectional study, suPAR levels were shown to reflect damage accrual in cases of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Herein, we evaluated suPAR as a predictor of future organ damage in recent-onset SLE. Methods: Included were 344 patients from the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics (SLICC) Inception Cohort who met the 1997 American College of Rheumatology classification criteria with 5-years of follow-up data available. Baseline sera from patients and age- and sex-matched controls were assayed for suPAR. Organ damage was assessed annually using the SLICC/ACR damage index (SDI). Results: The levels of suPAR were higher in patients who accrued damage, particularly those with SDI≥2 at 5 years (N = 32, 46.8% increase, p = 0.004), as compared to patients without damage. Logistic regression analysis revealed a significant impact of suPAR on SDI outcome (SDI≥2; OR = 1.14; 95% CI 1.03-1.26), also after adjustment for confounding factors. In an optimized logistic regression to predict damage, suPAR persisted as a predictor, together with baseline disease activity (SLEDAI-2K), age, and non-Caucasian ethnicity (model AUC = 0.77). Dissecting SDI into organ systems revealed higher suPAR levels in patients who developed musculoskeletal damage (SDI≥1; p = 0.007). Conclusion: Prognostic biomarkers identify patients who are at risk of acquiring early damage and therefore need careful observation and targeted treatment strategies. Overall, suPAR constitutes an interesting biomarker for patient stratification and for identifying SLE patients who are at risk of acquiring organ damage during the first 5 years of disease.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Download
RightsCopyright © 2019 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Ltd.. All rights reserved.
- Soluble urokinase plasminogen activator receptor levels reflect organ damage in systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Enocsson H, Wetterö J, Skogh T, Sjöwall C
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Osteopontin and Disease Activity in Patients with Recent-onset Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Results from the SLICC Inception Cohort.
- Authors: Wirestam L, Enocsson H, Skogh T, Padyukov L, Jönsen A, Urowitz MB, Gladman DD, Romero-Diaz J, Bae SC, Fortin PR, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Clarke AE, Bernatsky S, Gordon C, Hanly JG, Wallace D, Isenberg DA, Rahman A, Merrill J, Ginzler E, Alarcón GS, Chatham WW, Petri M, Khamashta M, Aranow C, Mackay M, Dooley MA, Manzi S, Ramsey-Goldman R, Nived O, Steinsson K, Zoma A, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Lim S, Kalunian K, Inanc M, van Vollenhoven R, Ramos-Casals M, Kamen DL, Jacobsen S, Peschken C, Askanase A, Stoll T, Bruce IN, Wetterö J, Sjöwall C
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Factors associated with damage accrual in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: results from the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics (SLICC) Inception Cohort.
- Authors: Bruce IN, O'Keeffe AG, Farewell V, Hanly JG, Manzi S, Su L, Gladman DD, Bae SC, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Romero-Diaz J, Gordon C, Wallace DJ, Clarke AE, Bernatsky S, Ginzler EM, Isenberg DA, Rahman A, Merrill JT, Alarcón GS, Fessler BJ, Fortin PR, Petri M, Steinsson K, Dooley MA, Khamashta MA, Ramsey-Goldman R, Zoma AA, Sturfelt GK, Nived O, Aranow C, Mackay M, Ramos-Casals M, van Vollenhoven RF, Kalunian KC, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Lim S, Kamen DL, Peschken CA, Inanc M, Urowitz MB
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Prediction of Damage Accrual in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Using the Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics Frailty Index.
- Authors: Legge A, Kirkland S, Rockwood K, Andreou P, Bae SC, Gordon C, Romero-Diaz J, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Wallace DJ, Bernatsky S, Clarke AE, Merrill JT, Ginzler EM, Fortin PR, Gladman DD, Urowitz MB, Bruce IN, Isenberg DA, Rahman A, Alarcón GS, Petri M, Khamashta MA, Dooley MA, Ramsey-Goldman R, Manzi S, Zoma AA, Aranow C, Mackay M, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Lim SS, Inanc M, van Vollenhoven RF, Jonsen A, Nived O, Ramos-Casals M, Kamen DL, Kalunian KC, Jacobsen S, Peschken CA, Askanase A, Hanly JG
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Soluble urokinase plasminogen activator receptor--a valuable biomarker in systemic lupus erythematosus?
- Authors: Enocsson H, Sjöwall C, Wetterö J
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 15