Risk Factors for Hen's Egg Allergy in Europe: EuroPrevall Birth Cohort.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsGrimshaw, Kate E C
Grabenhenrich, Linus B
Larco, Jose Ignacio
Kowalski, Marek L
Papadopoulos, Nikolaos G
Sigurdardottir, Sigurveig Th
Sprikkelman, Aline B
Schoemaker, Ana A
Mills, E N Clare
MetadataShow full item record
CitationGrimshaw KEC, Roberts G, Selby A, et al. Risk Factors for Hen's Egg Allergy in Europe: EuroPrevall Birth Cohort. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020;8(4):1341‐1348.e5. doi:10.1016/j.jaip.2019.11.040
AbstractBackground: Hen's egg is one of the commonest causes of food allergy, but there are little data on its risk factors. Objective: To assess the risk factors, particularly eczema, for hen's egg allergy in the EuroPrevall birth cohort. Methods: In the pan-European EuroPrevall birth cohort, questionnaires were undertaken at 12 and 24 months or when parents reported symptoms. Children with suspected egg allergy were invited for skin prick testing, specific IgE assessment, and double-blind, placebo-controlled food challenge (DBPCFC) as indicated. Each egg allergy case (positive DBPCFC or egg-induced anaphylaxis) was allocated up to 2 age- and country-matched controls. Results: A total of 12,049 infants were recruited into the EuroPrevall birth cohort, and 9,336 (77.5%) were followed until 2 years. A total of 86 infants had egg allergy (84 by DBPCFC) and were matched with 140 controls. Independently associated with egg allergy were past/current eczema (adjusted odds ratio, 9.21; 95% CI, 2.65-32.04), Scoring Atopic Dermatitis (1.54 per 5 units; 1.28-1.86), antibiotics in the first week of life (6.17; 1.42-26.89), and current rhinitis (3.02; 1.04-8.78). Increasing eczema severity was associated with an increasing likelihood of egg allergy. Eczema was reported to have started 3.6 (SE, 0.5) months before egg allergy. Age of introduction of egg into the diet was not associated with egg allergy. Conclusions: Similar to peanut allergy, eczema was strongly associated with egg allergy development and the association increased with increasing eczema severity. The age of introduction of dietary egg was not a risk factor. The potential role of antibiotics in early life as a risk factor for egg allergy needs further examination.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
RightsCopyright © 2019. Published by Elsevier Inc.
- Randomized placebo-controlled trial of hen's egg consumption for primary prevention in infants.
- Authors: Bellach J, Schwarz V, Ahrens B, Trendelenburg V, Aksünger Ö, Kalb B, Niggemann B, Keil T, Beyer K
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Incidence and natural history of hen's egg allergy in the first 2 years of life-the EuroPrevall birth cohort study.
- Authors: Xepapadaki P, Fiocchi A, Grabenhenrich L, Roberts G, Grimshaw KE, Fiandor A, Larco JI, Sigurdardottir S, Clausen M, Papadopoulos NG, Dahdah L, Mackie A, Sprikkelman AB, Schoemaker AA, Dubakiene R, Butiene I, Kowalski ML, Zeman K, Gavrili S, Keil T, Beyer K
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Two-step egg introduction for prevention of egg allergy in high-risk infants with eczema (PETIT): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
- Authors: Natsume O, Kabashima S, Nakazato J, Yamamoto-Hanada K, Narita M, Kondo M, Saito M, Kishino A, Takimoto T, Inoue E, Tang J, Kido H, Wong GW, Matsumoto K, Saito H, Ohya Y, PETIT Study Team.
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 21
- Sensitization to milk, egg and peanut from birth to 18 years: A longitudinal study of a cohort at risk of allergic disease.
- Authors: Alduraywish SA, Lodge CJ, Vicendese D, Lowe AJ, Erbas B, Matheson MC, Hopper J, Hill DJ, Axelrad C, Abramson MJ, Allen KJ, Dharmage SC
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Oral food desensitization in children with IgE-mediated hen's egg allergy: a new protocol with raw hen's egg.
- Authors: Meglio P, Giampietro PG, Carello R, Gabriele I, Avitabile S, Galli E
- Issue date: 2013 Feb