Predicted loss and gain of function mutations in ACO1 are associated with erythropoiesis.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsOskarsson, Gudjon R
Magnusson, Magnus K
Kristjansson, Ragnar P
Halldorsson, Gisli H
Ivarsdottir, Erna V
Arnadottir, Gudny A
Jensson, Brynjar O
Kristinsdottir, Anna M
Lee, Amy L
Sigurdsson, Jon K
Davidsson, Olafur B
Gudmundsson, Reynir L
Asselbergs, Folkert W
Onundarson, Pall T
Gudbjartsson, Daniel F
Norddahl, Gudmundur L
MetadataShow full item record
CitationOskarsson GR, Oddsson A, Magnusson MK, et al. Predicted loss and gain of function mutations in ACO1 are associated with erythropoiesis. Commun Biol. 2020;3(1):189. Published 2020 Apr 23. doi:10.1038/s42003-020-0921-5
AbstractHemoglobin is the essential oxygen-carrying molecule in humans and is regulated by cellular iron and oxygen sensing mechanisms. To search for novel variants associated with hemoglobin concentration, we performed genome-wide association studies of hemoglobin concentration using a combined set of 684,122 individuals from Iceland and the UK. Notably, we found seven novel variants, six rare coding and one common, at the ACO1 locus associating with either decreased or increased hemoglobin concentration. Of these variants, the missense Cys506Ser and the stop-gained Lys334Ter mutations are specific to eight and ten generation pedigrees, respectively, and have the two largest effects in the study (EffectCys506Ser = -1.61 SD, CI95 = [-1.98, -1.35]; EffectLys334Ter = 0.63 SD, CI95 = [0.36, 0.91]). We also find Cys506Ser to associate with increased risk of persistent anemia (OR = 17.1, P = 2 × 10-14). The strong bidirectional effects seen in this study implicate ACO1, a known iron sensing molecule, as a major homeostatic regulator of hemoglobin concentration.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Download
- Cytosolic aconitase activity sustains adipogenic capacity of adipose tissue connecting iron metabolism and adipogenesis.
- Authors: Moreno M, Ortega F, Xifra G, Ricart W, Fernández-Real JM, Moreno-Navarrete JM
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Abnormal body iron distribution and erythropoiesis in a novel mouse model with inducible gain of iron regulatory protein (IRP)-1 function.
- Authors: Casarrubea D, Viatte L, Hallas T, Vasanthakumar A, Eisenstein RS, Schümann K, Hentze MW, Galy B
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- On the molecular relationships between high-zinc tolerance and aconitase (Aco1) in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
- Authors: Guirola M, Jiménez-Martí E, Atrian S
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- A genome-wide meta-analysis yields 46 new loci associating with biomarkers of iron homeostasis.
- Authors: Bell S, Rigas AS, Magnusson MK, Ferkingstad E, Allara E, Bjornsdottir G, Ramond A, Sørensen E, Halldorsson GH, Paul DS, Burgdorf KS, Eggertsson HP, Howson JMM, Thørner LW, Kristmundsdottir S, Astle WJ, Erikstrup C, Sigurdsson JK, Vuckovic D, Dinh KM, Tragante V, Surendran P, Pedersen OB, Vidarsson B, Jiang T, Paarup HM, Onundarson PT, Akbari P, Nielsen KR, Lund SH, Juliusson K, Magnusson MI, Frigge ML, Oddsson A, Olafsson I, Kaptoge S, Hjalgrim H, Runarsson G, Wood AM, Jonsdottir I, Hansen TF, Sigurdardottir O, Stefansson H, Rye D, DBDS Genomic Consortium., Peters JE, Westergaard D, Holm H, Soranzo N, Banasik K, Thorleifsson G, Ouwehand WH, Thorsteinsdottir U, Roberts DJ, Sulem P, Butterworth AS, Gudbjartsson DF, Danesh J, Brunak S, Di Angelantonio E, Ullum H, Stefansson K
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 3
- FLT3 stop mutation increases FLT3 ligand level and risk of autoimmune thyroid disease.
- Authors: Saevarsdottir S, Olafsdottir TA, Ivarsdottir EV, Halldorsson GH, Gunnarsdottir K, Sigurdsson A, Johannesson A, Sigurdsson JK, Juliusdottir T, Lund SH, Arnthorsson AO, Styrmisdottir EL, Gudmundsson J, Grondal GM, Steinsson K, Alfredsson L, Askling J, Benediktsson R, Bjarnason R, Geirsson AJ, Gudbjornsson B, Gudjonsson H, Hjaltason H, Hreidarsson AB, Klareskog L, Kockum I, Kristjansdottir H, Love TJ, Ludviksson BR, Olsson T, Onundarson PT, Orvar KB, Padyukov L, Sigurgeirsson B, Tragante V, Bjarnadottir K, Rafnar T, Masson G, Sulem P, Gudbjartsson DF, Melsted P, Thorleifsson G, Norddahl GL, Thorsteinsdottir U, Jonsdottir I, Stefansson K
- Issue date: 2020 Aug