Expression of ncRNAs on the DLK1-DIO3 Locus Is Associated With Basal and Mesenchymal Phenotype in Breast Epithelial Progenitor Cells.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Sigurdardottir, Anna Karen
Bergthorsson, Jon Thor
Magnusson, Magnus Karl
Traustadottir, Gunnhildur Asta
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBudkova Z, Sigurdardottir AK, Briem E, et al. Expression of ncRNAs on the DLK1-DIO3 Locus Is Associated With Basal and Mesenchymal Phenotype in Breast Epithelial Progenitor Cells. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2020;8:461. Published 2020 Jun 16. doi:10.3389/fcell.2020.00461
AbstractEpithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT) and its reversed process mesenchymal-to-epithelial transition (MET) play a critical role in epithelial plasticity during development and cancer progression. Among important regulators of these cellular processes are non-coding RNAs (ncRNAs). The imprinted DLK1-DIO3 locus, containing numerous maternally expressed ncRNAs including the lncRNA maternally expressed gene 3 (MEG3) and a cluster of over 50 miRNAs, has been shown to be a modulator of stemness in embryonic stem cells and in cancer progression, potentially through the tumor suppressor role of MEG3. In this study we analyzed the expression pattern and functional role of ncRNAs from the DLK1-DIO3 locus in epithelial plasticity of the breast. We studied their expression in various cell types of breast tissue and revisit the role of the locus in EMT/MET using a breast epithelial progenitor cell line (D492) and its isogenic mesenchymal derivative (D492M). Marked upregulation of ncRNAs from the DLK1-DIO3 locus was seen after EMT induction in two cell line models of EMT. In addition, the expression of MEG3 and the maternally expressed ncRNAs was higher in stromal cells compared to epithelial cell types in primary breast tissue. We also show that expression of MEG3 is concomitant with the expression of the ncRNAs from the DLK1-DIO3 locus and its expression is therefore likely indicative of activation of all ncRNAs at the locus. MEG3 expression is correlated with stromal markers in normal tissue and breast cancer tissue and negatively correlated with the survival of breast cancer patients in two different cohorts. Overexpression of MEG3 using CRISPR activation in a breast epithelial cell line induced partial EMT and enriched for a basal-like phenotype. Conversely, knock down of MEG3 using CRISPR inhibition in a mesenchymal cell line reduced the mesenchymal and basal-like phenotype of the cell line. In summary our study shows that maternally expressed ncRNAs are markers of EMT and suggests that MEG3 is a novel regulator of EMT/MET in breast tissue. Nevertheless, further studies are needed to fully dissect the molecular pathways influenced by non-coding RNAs at the DLK1-DIO3 locus in breast tissue.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Download
RightsCopyright © 2020 Budkova, Sigurdardottir, Briem, Bergthorsson, Sigurdsson, Magnusson, Traustadottir, Gudjonsson and Hilmarsdottir.
- Loss of non-coding RNA expression from the DLK1-DIO3 imprinted locus correlates with reduced neural differentiation potential in human embryonic stem cell lines.
- Authors: Mo CF, Wu FC, Tai KY, Chang WC, Chang KW, Kuo HC, Ho HN, Chen HF, Lin SP
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 5
- <i>Dlk1-Dio3</i> locus-derived lncRNAs perpetuate postmitotic motor neuron cell fate and subtype identity.
- Authors: Yen YP, Hsieh WF, Tsai YY, Lu YL, Liau ES, Hsu HC, Chen YC, Liu TC, Chang M, Li J, Lin SP, Hung JH, Chen JA
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 12
- Deregulation of the imprinted DLK1-DIO3 locus ncRNAs is associated with replicative senescence of human adipose-derived stem cells.
- Authors: García-López S, Albo-Castellanos C, Urdinguio RG, Cañón S, Sánchez-Cabo F, Martínez-Serrano A, Fraga MF, Bernad A
- Issue date: 2018
- Deregulated expression of the imprinted DLK1-DIO3 region in Glioblastoma Stem-like Cells: tumor suppressor role of lncRNA MEG3.
- Authors: Buccarelli M, Lulli V, Giuliani A, Signore M, Martini M, D'Alessandris QG, Giannetti S, Novelli A, Ilari R, Giurato G, Boe A, Castellani G, Spartano S, Marangi G, Biffoni M, Genuardi M, Pallini R, Marziali G, Ricci-Vitiani L
- Issue date: 2020 May 27
- Dysregulation of ncRNAs located at the DLK1‑DIO3 imprinted domain: involvement in urological cancers.
- Authors: Li J, Shen H, Xie H, Ying Y, Jin K, Yan H, Wang S, Xu M, Wang X, Xu X, Xie L
- Issue date: 2019