Machine learning predictive system based upon radiodensitometric distributions from mid-thigh CT images.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRecenti M, Ricciardi C, Edmunds K, Gislason MK, Gargiulo P. Machine learning predictive system based upon radiodensitometric distributions from mid-thigh CT images. Eur J Transl Myol. 2020 Apr 1;30(1):8892. doi: 10.4081/ejtm.2019.8892. PMID: 32499893; PMCID: PMC7254455.
AbstractThe nonlinear trimodal regression analysis (NTRA) method based on radiodensitometric CT images distributions was developed for the quantitative characterization of soft tissue changes according to the lower extremity function of elderly subjects. In this regard, the NTRA method defines 11 subject-specific soft tissue parameters and has illustrated high sensitivity to changes in skeletal muscle form and function. The present work further explores the use of these 11 NTRA parameters in the construction of a machine learning (ML) system to predict body mass index and isometric leg strength using tree-based regression algorithms. Results obtained from these models demonstrate that when using an ML approach, these soft tissue features have a significant predictive value for these physiological parameters. These results further support the use of NTRA-based ML predictive assessment and support the future investigation of other physiological parameters and comorbidities. Keywords: Computed Tomography; Machine learning; body mass index; isometric leg strength; soft tissue.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Download
- Assessing cardiovascular risks from a mid-thigh CT image: a tree-based machine learning approach using radiodensitometric distributions.
- Authors: Ricciardi C, Edmunds KJ, Recenti M, Sigurdsson S, Gudnason V, Carraro U, Gargiulo P
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 18
- Advanced quantitative methods in correlating sarcopenic muscle degeneration with lower extremity function biometrics and comorbidities.
- Authors: Edmunds K, Gíslason M, Sigurðsson S, Guðnason V, Harris T, Carraro U, Gargiulo P
- Issue date: 2018
- Testing soft tissue radiodensity parameters interplay with age and self-reported physical activity.
- Authors: Recenti M, Ricciardi C, Edmunds K, Jacob D, Gambacorta M, Gargiulo P
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 12
- Healthy Aging Within an Image: Using Muscle Radiodensitometry and Lifestyle Factors to Predict Diabetes and Hypertension.
- Authors: Recenti M, Ricciardi C, Edmunds KJ, Gislason MK, Sigurdsson S, Carraro U, Gargiulo P
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Nonlinear Trimodal Regression Analysis of Radiodensitometric Distributions to Quantify Sarcopenic and Sequelae Muscle Degeneration.
- Authors: Edmunds KJ, Árnadóttir Í, Gíslason MK, Carraro U, Gargiulo P
- Issue date: 2016