Interventions to prevent or reduce rationing or missed nursing care: A scoping review.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Rochefort, Christian M
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSchubert M, Ausserhofer D, Bragadóttir H, Rochefort CM, Bruyneel L, Stemmer R, et al. Interventions to prevent or reduce rationing or missed nursing care: A scoping review. Journal of advanced nursing. 2020.doi:10.1111/jan.14596.
AbstractAims: To collate and synthesize published research on interventions developed and tested to prevent or reduce the rates of rationed or missed nursing care in healthcare institutions. Background: Rationed and missed nursing care has been widely studied, including its predictors and associations with patient and nurse outcomes. Design: Scoping review. Data sources: We searched for eligible studies, published between 1980-2019, in six electronic databases. Review methods: Researchers independently screened the abstracts of the retrieved studies using the inclusion and exclusion criteria. The decision of whether or not to include any given study was consensus-based. Results: The search yielded 1,815 records, of which 13 were included. Three studies reported structural interventions, namely increased nurse staffing and improved nursing teamwork, both resulted in significant reductions in the rates of rationed or missed nursing care. The remaining 10 studies reported on process interventions: four concerned reminders (via technology or designated persons) and seven described interventions to change or optimize the relevant care processes. All 10 process interventions contributed to significant reductions in the rates of missed nursing care. Conclusions: The results of the scoping review indicate that specific interventions can positively influence the performance of a selected nursing care activity, for example fall prevention. There is no evidence of a global reduction of rationed and missed nursing care through these interventions. Impact: Clinicians, managers and researchers can use the results for adapting and implementing interventions to reduce rationed and missed nursing care. Keywords: decision-making; interventions; nurse staffing; nursing care; prevention; quality of care; rationed and missed nursing care; scoping review; teamwork.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
Rights© 2020 John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Missed, rationed or unfinished nursing care: A scoping review of patient outcomes.
- Authors: Kalánková D, Kirwan M, Bartoníčková D, Cubelo F, Žiaková K, Kurucová R
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- The association between nurse staffing and omissions in nursing care: A systematic review.
- Authors: Griffiths P, Recio-Saucedo A, Dall'Ora C, Briggs J, Maruotti A, Meredith P, Smith GB, Ball J, Missed Care Study Group.
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Beyond the black stump: rapid reviews of health research issues affecting regional, rural and remote Australia.
- Authors: Osborne SR, Alston LV, Bolton KA, Whelan J, Reeve E, Wong Shee A, Browne J, Walker T, Versace VL, Allender S, Nichols M, Backholer K, Goodwin N, Lewis S, Dalton H, Prael G, Curtin M, Brooks R, Verdon S, Crockett J, Hodgins G, Walsh S, Lyle DM, Thompson SC, Browne LJ, Knight S, Pit SW, Jones M, Gillam MH, Leach MJ, Gonzalez-Chica DA, Muyambi K, Eshetie T, Tran K, May E, Lieschke G, Parker V, Smith A, Hayes C, Dunlop AJ, Rajappa H, White R, Oakley P, Holliday S
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Rationed nursing care as one of the indicators of the occurrence of medication errors.
- Authors: Plevová I, Jarošová D, Janíková E, Zeleníková R, Mynaříková E, Polanská A
- Issue date: 2020 Fall
- [Effective interventions enacted by Nurse Managers in daily practice to prevent and/or minimize the missed nursing care: ?ndings from an Italian qualitative study].
- Authors: Palese A, Papastavrou E, Efstathiou G, Andreou P, Stemmer R, Ströhm C, De Reggi A, Rossi A, Mesaglio M, Longhini J
- Issue date: 2020 May-Jun