Recent advances in the treatment of primary sclerosing cholangitis.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBjörnsson ES, Kalaitzakis E. Recent advances in the treatment of primary sclerosing cholangitis. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020 Dec 14:1-13. doi: 10.1080/17474124.2021.1860751.
AbstractIntroduction: PSC is a rare liver disease that leads frequently to cirrhosis and need for liver transplantation. No medical treatment is of proven value. Liver transplantation is the only curative therapy available. There is a big medical need to find medical therapy that can alter the natural history of the disease. Areas covered: The authors highlight advances in PSC, based on recent literature retrieved from PubMed until September 2020 regarding both medical and endoscopic biliary therapy. Future possibilities for treatment of PSC are discussed. Expert opinion: Biliary endoscopy is the cornerstone in the treatment of dominant strictures. Single-user peroral cholangioscopy is an emerging modality. Balloon dilatation therapy is the treatment of choice of dominant strictures. The most promising medical therapies showing efficacy in phase II trials are nor-Ursodeoxycholic acid, obethicolic acid, the non-steroidal FXR agonist Cilofexor and Aldafermin, a synthetic analogue of FGF-19. Antibiotics, particularly vancomycin have shown potential benefits, particularly in children but phase III studies are lacking. In observational studies of effects of biological therapy in patients with IBD/PSC adalimumab was associated with reduction in ALP. Results of liver transplantation are favorable but recurrence can be of clinical relevance particularly in patients transplanted before the age of 40.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- Controversies in the management of primary sclerosing cholangitis.
- Authors: Nayagam JS, Pereira SP, Devlin J, Harrison PM, Joshi D
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 18
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis in children versus adults: lessons for the clinic.
- Authors: Adike A, Carey EJ, Lindor KD
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Pathogenesis of primary sclerosing cholangitis and advances in diagnosis and management.
- Authors: Eaton JE, Talwalkar JA, Lazaridis KN, Gores GJ, Lindor KD
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Endoscopic assessment of primary sclerosing cholangitis.
- Authors: De Vries B, Weersma RK
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Update in the Care and Management of Patients with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis.
- Authors: Sedki M, Levy C
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 9