The Expiry of Humira Market Exclusivity and the Entry of Adalimumab Biosimilars in Europe: An Overview of Pricing and National Policy Measures.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Palčevski, Vera Vlahović
Martikainen, Jaana E
Selke, Gisbert W
Vella Bonanno, Patricia
Vulto, Arnold G
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMoorkens E, Godman B, Huys I, Hoxha I, Malaj A, Keuerleber S, et al. The Expiry of Humira(®) Market Exclusivity and the Entry of Adalimumab Biosimilars in Europe: An Overview of Pricing and National Policy Measures. Frontiers in pharmacology. 2020;11:591134.doi:10.3389/fphar.2020.591134.
AbstractBackground: From October 2018, adalimumab biosimilars could enter the European market. However, in some countries, such as Netherlands, high discounts reported for the originator product may have influenced biosimilar entry. Objectives: The aim of this paper is to provide a European overview of (list) prices of originator adalimumab, before and after loss of exclusivity; to report changes in the reimbursement status of adalimumab products; and discuss relevant policy measures. Methods: Experts in European countries received a survey consisting of three parts: 1) general financing/co-payment of medicines, 2) reimbursement status and prices of originator adalimumab, and availability of biosimilars, and 3) policy measures related to the use of adalimumab. Results: In May 2019, adalimumab biosimilars were available in 24 of the 30 countries surveyed. Following introduction of adalimumab biosimilars, a number of countries have made changes in relation to the reimbursement status of adalimumab products. Originator adalimumab list prices varied between countries by a factor of 2.8 before and 4.1 after loss of exclusivity. Overall, list prices of originator adalimumab decreased after loss of exclusivity, although for 13 countries list prices were unchanged. When reported, discounts/rebates on originator adalimumab after loss of exclusivity ranged from 0% to approximately 26% (Romania), 60% (Poland), 80% (Denmark, Italy, Norway), and 80-90% (Netherlands), leading to actual prices per pen or syringe between €412 (Finland) and €50 - €99 (Netherlands). To leverage competition following entry of biosimilar adalimumab, only a few countries adopted measures specifically for adalimumab in addition to general policies regarding biosimilars. In some countries, a strategy was implemented even before loss of exclusivity (Denmark, Scotland), while others did not report specific measures. Conclusion: Even though originator adalimumab is the highest selling product in the world, few countries have implemented specific policies and practices for (biosimilar) adalimumab. Countries with biosimilars on the market seem to have competition lowering list or actual prices. Reported discounts varied widely between countries.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Download
RightsCopyright © 2021 Moorkens, Godman, Huys, Hoxha, Malaj, Keuerleber, Stockinger, Mörtenhuber, Dimitrova, Tachkov, Vončina, Palčevski, Achniotou, Slabý, Popelková, Kohoutová, Bartels, Laius, Martikainen, Selke, Kourafalos, Magnússon, Einarsdóttir, Adams, Joppi, Allocati, Jakupi, Viksna, Greičiūtė-Kuprijanov, Vella Bonanno, Suttorp, Melien, Plisko, Mardare, Meshkov, Novakovuc, Fürst, Zara, Marković-Peković, Grubiša, Befrits, Puckett and Vulto.
- Policies for biosimilar uptake in Europe: An overview.
- Authors: Moorkens E, Vulto AG, Huys I, Dylst P, Godman B, Keuerleber S, Claus B, Dimitrova M, Petrova G, Sović-Brkičić L, Slabý J, Šebesta R, Laius O, Karr A, Beck M, Martikainen JE, Selke GW, Spillane S, McCullagh L, Trifirò G, Vella Bonanno P, Mack A, Fogele A, Viksna A, Władysiuk M, Mota-Filipe H, Meshkov D, Kalaba M, Mencej Bedrač S, Fürst J, Zara C, Skiöld P, Magnússon E, Simoens S
- Issue date: 2017
- The Biosimilar Landscape: An Overview of Regulatory Approvals by the EMA and FDA.
- Authors: Gherghescu I, Delgado-Charro MB
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 31
- Different Policy Measures and Practices between Swedish Counties Influence Market Dynamics: Part 2-Biosimilar and Originator Etanercept in the Outpatient Setting.
- Authors: Moorkens E, Simoens S, Troein P, Declerck P, Vulto AG, Huys I
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Overview of Humira® Biosimilars: Current European Landscape and Future Implications.
- Authors: Coghlan J, He H, Schwendeman AS
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Outcomes Following a Mandatory Nonmedical Switch From Adalimumab Originator to Adalimumab Biosimilars in Patients With Psoriasis.
- Authors: Loft N, Egeberg A, Rasmussen MK, Bryld LE, Nissen CV, Dam TN, Ajgeiy KK, Iversen L, Skov L
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 7