Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFinnsdóttir H, Szegedi I, Oláh L, Csiba L. The applications of transcranial Doppler in ischemic stroke. Ideggyogy Sz. 2020 Nov 30;73(11-12):367-378. English. doi: 10.18071/isz.73.0367.
AbstractBackground: This overview provides a summary of the applications of transcranial Doppler (TCD) in ischemic stroke. Results: A fast-track neurovascular ultrasound protocol has been developed for detecting occlusion or stenosis. The technique is more reliable in the carotid area than in the posterior circulation. By monitoring the pulsatility index the in-crea-sed intracranial pressure can be diagnosed. TIBI score was developed for grading residual flow. TCD has been shown to accurately predict complete or any recanalization. Regarding recanalization, TCD has a sensitivity of 92%, a specificity of 88%, a positive predictive value of 96%, a negative predictive value of 78% and an overall accuracy of 91%, respectively. Sonothrombolysis seemed to be a promising application but randomized controlled trials have shown that it does not improve clinical outcome. TCD examination can detect microembolic signals (MES) which are associated with an increased risk of stroke. Micro-em-boli were detected in symptomatic and asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis and during carotid endarterectomy. The number of microemboli can be decreased by antithrombotic therapy. Contrast en-chan-ced examination and Valsalva maneuver with continuous TCD monitoring can accurately screen for right-to-left shunt. Keywords: ischemic stroke; stroke; transcranial Doppler; ultrasound.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- A broad diagnostic battery for bedside transcranial Doppler to detect flow changes with internal carotid artery stenosis or occlusion.
- Authors: Christou I, Felberg RA, Demchuk AM, Grotta JC, Burgin WS, Malkoff M, Alexandrov AV
- Issue date: 2001 Jul
- Transcranial Doppler Ultrasound Detection of Microemboli as a Predictor of Cerebral Events in Patients with Symptomatic and Asymptomatic Carotid Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Best LM, Webb AC, Gurusamy KS, Cheng SF, Richards T
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- The Clinical Contribution of Neurovascular Ultrasonography in Acute Ischemic Stroke.
- Authors: Gomez JR, Hobbs KS, Johnson LL, Vu QD, Bennett J, Tegeler C, Wolfe SQ, Sarwal A
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Trancranial Doppler: value in clinical practice.
- Authors: Martinelli O, Benedetti-Valentini F
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Real-time validation of transcranial Doppler criteria in assessing recanalization during intra-arterial procedures for acute ischemic stroke: an international, multicenter study.
- Authors: Tsivgoulis G, Ribo M, Rubiera M, Vasdekis SN, Barlinn K, Athanasiadis D, Bavarsad Shahripour R, Giannopoulos S, Stamboulis E, Harrigan MR, Molina CA, Alexandrov AV
- Issue date: 2013 Feb