HLA-DQB1 6672G>C (rs113332494) is associated with clozapine-induced neutropenia and agranulocytosis in individuals of European ancestry.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Walters, James T R
Legge, Sophie E
Pardiñas, Antonio F
Hartmann, Annette M
Bogers, Jan P
van der Weide, Jan
van der Weide, Karen
Kennedy, James L
Sullivan, Patrick F
Collier, David A
O'Donovan, Michael C
MetadataShow full item record
CitationKonte B, Walters JTR, Rujescu D, Legge SE, Pardiñas AF, Cohen D, Pirmohamed M, Tiihonen J, Hartmann AM, Bogers JP, van der Weide J, van der Weide K, Putkonen A, Repo-Tiihonen E, Hallikainen T, Silva E, Ingimarsson O, Sigurdsson E, Kennedy JL, Sullivan PF, Rietschel M, Breen G, Stefansson H, Stefansson K, Collier DA, O'Donovan MC, Giegling I. HLA-DQB1 6672G>C (rs113332494) is associated with clozapine-induced neutropenia and agranulocytosis in individuals of European ancestry. Transl Psychiatry. 2021 Apr 12;11(1):214. doi: 10.1038/s41398-021-01322-w.
AbstractThe atypical antipsychotic clozapine is the only effective medication for treatment-resistant schizophrenia. However, it can also induce serious adverse drug reactions, including agranulocytosis and neutropenia. The mechanism by which it does so is largely unknown, but there is evidence for contributing genetic factors. Several studies identified HLA-DQB1 variants and especially a polymorphism located in HLA-DQB1 (6672G>C, rs113332494) as associated with clozapine-induced agranulocytosis and neutropenia. We analysed the risk allele distribution of SNP rs113332494 in a sample of 1396 controls and 178 neutropenia cases of which 60 developed agranulocytosis. Absolute neutrophil counts of 500/mm3 and 1500/mm3 were used for defining agranulocytosis and neutropenia cases, respectively. We also performed association analyses and analysed local ancestry patterns in individuals of European ancestry, seeking replication and extension of earlier findings. HLA-DQB1 (6672G>C, rs113332494) was associated with neutropenia (OR = 6.20, P = 2.20E-06) and agranulocytosis (OR = 10.49, P = 1.83E-06) in individuals of European ancestry. The association signal strengthened after including local ancestry estimates (neutropenia: OR = 10.38, P = 6.05E-08; agranulocytosis: OR = 16.31, P = 1.39E-06), with effect sizes being considerably larger for agranulocytosis. Using local ancestry estimates for prediction, the sensitivity of rs113332494 increased from 11.28 to 55.64% for neutropenia and from 16.67 to 53.70% for agranulocytosis. Our study further strengthens the evidence implicating HLA-DQB1 in agranulocytosis and neutropenia, suggesting components of the immune system as contributing to this serious adverse drug reaction. Using local ancestry estimates might help in identifying risk variants and improve prediction of haematological adverse effects.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Download
- Genetics of clozapine-associated neutropenia: recent advances, challenges and future perspective.
- Authors: Legge SE, Walters JT
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Clozapine rechallenge after excluding the high-risk clozapine-induced agranulocytosis genotype of HLA-DQB1 6672G>C.
- Authors: McKnight C, Guirgis H, Votolato N
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Genome-wide common and rare variant analysis provides novel insights into clozapine-associated neutropenia.
- Authors: Legge SE, Hamshere ML, Ripke S, Pardinas AF, Goldstein JI, Rees E, Richards AL, Leonenko G, Jorskog LF, Clozapine-Induced Agranulocytosis Consortium., Chambert KD, Collier DA, Genovese G, Giegling I, Holmans P, Jonasdottir A, Kirov G, McCarroll SA, MacCabe JH, Mantripragada K, Moran JL, Neale BM, Stefansson H, Rujescu D, Daly MJ, Sullivan PF, Owen MJ, O'Donovan MC, Walters JTR
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Clozapine-induced agranulocytosis is associated with rare HLA-DQB1 and HLA-B alleles.
- Authors: Goldstein JI, Jarskog LF, Hilliard C, Alfirevic A, Duncan L, Fourches D, Huang H, Lek M, Neale BM, Ripke S, Shianna K, Szatkiewicz JP, Tropsha A, van den Oord EJ, Cascorbi I, Dettling M, Gazit E, Goff DC, Holden AL, Kelly DL, Malhotra AK, Nielsen J, Pirmohamed M, Rujescu D, Werge T, Levy DL, Josiassen RC, Kennedy JL, Lieberman JA, Daly MJ, Sullivan PF
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 4
- Neutropenia and agranulocytosis during treatment of schizophrenia with clozapine versus other antipsychotics: an observational study in Iceland.
- Authors: Ingimarsson O, MacCabe JH, Haraldsson M, Jónsdóttir H, Sigurdsson E
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 12