Mild Stage 1 post-operative acute kidney injury: association with chronic kidney disease and long-term survival.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsLong, Thorir Einarsson
Sigurdsson, Gisli Heimir
Sigurdsson, Martin Ingi
Indridason, Olafur Skuli
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLong TE, Helgason D, Helgadottir S, Sigurdsson GH, Palsson R, Sigurdsson MI, Indridason OS. Mild Stage 1 post-operative acute kidney injury: association with chronic kidney disease and long-term survival. Clin Kidney J. 2020 Feb 10;14(1):237-244. doi: 10.1093/ckj/sfz197.
AbstractPre- and post-operative SCr values were available for 47 333 (42%) surgeries. Of those, 1161 (2.4%) had mild Stage 1 AKI and 2355 (5%) more severe forms of AKI. Mild Stage 1 AKI was associated with both incident CKD and progression of pre-existing CKD (P < 0.001). After exclusion of post-operative deaths within 30 days, mild Stage 1 AKI was not associated with worse 1-year survival in patients with preserved kidney function (94% versus 94%, P = 0.660), and same was true for patients with pre-operative CKD (83% versus 82%, P = 0.870) compared with their matched individuals. Conclusions. Mild Stage 1 AKI is associated with development and progression of CKD, but not with inferior 1-year survival. These findings support the inclusion of a small absolute increase in SCr in the definition of AKI.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Download
Rights© The Author(s) 2020. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of ERA-EDTA.
- Postoperative Acute Kidney Injury: Focus on Renal Recovery Definitions, Kidney Disease Progression and Survival.
- Authors: Long TE, Helgadottir S, Helgason D, Sigurdsson GH, Gudbjartsson T, Palsson R, Indridason OS, Sigurdsson MI
- Issue date: 2019
- Comparison of absolute serum creatinine changes versus Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes consensus definitions for characterizing stages of acute kidney injury.
- Authors: Wang HE, Jain G, Glassock RJ, Warnock DG
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Acute kidney injury following coronary angiography: a nationwide study of incidence, risk factors and long-term outcomes.
- Authors: Helgason D, Long TE, Helgadottir S, Palsson R, Sigurdsson GH, Gudbjartsson T, Indridason OS, Gudmundsdottir IJ, Sigurdsson MI
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Acute Kidney Injury in Subjects With Chronic Kidney Disease Undergoing Total Joint Arthroplasty.
- Authors: Soliman KM, Campbell RC, Fülöp T, Goddard T, Pisoni R
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Association of pre-operative chronic kidney disease and acute kidney injury with in-hospital outcomes of emergency colorectal surgery: a cohort study.
- Authors: Miyake K, Iwagami M, Ohtake T, Moriya H, Kume N, Murata T, Nishida T, Mochida Y, Isogai N, Ishioka K, Shimoyama R, Hidaka S, Kashiwagi H, Kawachi J, Ogino H, Kobayashi S
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 26