Long-read sequencing of 3,622 Icelanders provides insight into the role of structural variants in human diseases and other traits.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Eggertsson, Hannes P
Atlason, Bjarni A
Hardarson, Marteinn T
Gudjonsson, Sigurjon A
Magnusdottir, Droplaug N
Kristjansson, Ragnar P
Sverrisson, Sverrir T
Stefansson, Olafur A
Gudbjartsson, Daniel F
Magnusson, Olafur T
Halldorsson, Bjarni V
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBeyter D, Ingimundardottir H, Oddsson A, Eggertsson HP, Bjornsson E, Jonsson H, Atlason BA, Kristmundsdottir S, Mehringer S, Hardarson MT, Gudjonsson SA, Magnusdottir DN, Jonasdottir A, Jonasdottir A, Kristjansson RP, Sverrisson ST, Holley G, Palsson G, Stefansson OA, Eyjolfsson G, Olafsson I, Sigurdardottir O, Torfason B, Masson G, Helgason A, Thorsteinsdottir U, Holm H, Gudbjartsson DF, Sulem P, Magnusson OT, Halldorsson BV, Stefansson K. Long-read sequencing of 3,622 Icelanders provides insight into the role of structural variants in human diseases and other traits. Nat Genet. 2021 Jun;53(6):779-786. doi: 10.1038/s41588-021-00865-4.
AbstractLong-read sequencing (LRS) promises to improve the characterization of structural variants (SVs). We generated LRS data from 3,622 Icelanders and identified a median of 22,636 SVs per individual (a median of 13,353 insertions and 9,474 deletions). We discovered a set of 133,886 reliably genotyped SV alleles and imputed them into 166,281 individuals to explore their effects on diseases and other traits. We discovered an association of a rare deletion in PCSK9 with lower low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels, compared to the population average. We also discovered an association of a multiallelic SV in ACAN with height; we found 11 alleles that differed in the number of a 57-bp-motif repeat and observed a linear relationship between the number of repeats carried and height. These results show that SVs can be accurately characterized at the population scale using LRS data in a genome-wide non-targeted approach and demonstrate how SVs impact phenotypes.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article click on the hyperlink below
- Association of structural variation with cardiometabolic traits in Finns.
- Authors: Chen L, Abel HJ, Das I, Larson DE, Ganel L, Kanchi KL, Regier AA, Young EP, Kang CJ, Scott AJ, Chiang C, Wang X, Lu S, Christ R, Service SK, Chiang CWK, Havulinna AS, Kuusisto J, Boehnke M, Laakso M, Palotie A, Ripatti S, Freimer NB, Locke AE, Stitziel NO, Hall IM
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 1
- GraphTyper2 enables population-scale genotyping of structural variation using pangenome graphs.
- Authors: Eggertsson HP, Kristmundsdottir S, Beyter D, Jonsson H, Skuladottir A, Hardarson MT, Gudbjartsson DF, Stefansson K, Halldorsson BV, Melsted P
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 27
- Characterizing the Major Structural Variant Alleles of the Human Genome.
- Authors: Audano PA, Sulovari A, Graves-Lindsay TA, Cantsilieris S, Sorensen M, Welch AE, Dougherty ML, Nelson BJ, Shah A, Dutcher SK, Warren WC, Magrini V, McGrath SD, Li YI, Wilson RK, Eichler EE
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 24
- Expectations and blind spots for structural variation detection from long-read assemblies and short-read genome sequencing technologies.
- Authors: Zhao X, Collins RL, Lee WP, Weber AM, Jun Y, Zhu Q, Weisburd B, Huang Y, Audano PA, Wang H, Walker M, Lowther C, Fu J, Human Genome Structural Variation Consortium., Gerstein MB, Devine SE, Marschall T, Korbel JO, Eichler EE, Chaisson MJP, Lee C, Mills RE, Brand H, Talkowski ME
- Issue date: 2021 May 6
- Long-Read Sequencing to Unravel Complex Structural Variants of <i>CEP78</i> Leading to Cone-Rod Dystrophy and Hearing Loss.
- Authors: Ascari G, Rendtorff ND, De Bruyne M, De Zaeytijd J, Van Lint M, Bauwens M, Van Heetvelde M, Arno G, Jacob J, Creytens D, Van Dorpe J, Van Laethem T, Rosseel T, De Pooter T, De Rijk P, De Coster W, Menten B, Rey AD, Strazisar M, Bertelsen M, Tranebjaerg L, De Baere E
- Issue date: 2021