Re-emergence of enterovirus D68 in Europe after easing the COVID-19 lockdown, September 2021.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsBenschop, Kimberley Sm
Baldvinsdóttir, Guðrún Erna
Del Cuerpo, Margarita
Dembinski, Jennifer L
de Gascun, Cillian
López-Labrador, F Xavier
Midgley, Sofie E
Uceda Renteria, Sara Colonia
Romero, María P
Swanink, Caroline Ma
Verweij, Jaco J
Fischer, Thea K
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBenschop KS, Albert J, Anton A, et al. Re-emergence of enterovirus D68 in Europe after easing the COVID-19 lockdown, September 2021. Euro Surveill. 2021;26(45):2100998. doi:10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2021.26.45.2100998
AbstractWe report a rapid increase in enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) infections, with 139 cases reported from eight European countries between 31 July and 14 October 2021. This upsurge is in line with the seasonality of EV-D68 and was presumably stimulated by the widespread reopening after COVID-19 lockdown. Most cases were identified in September, but more are to be expected in the coming months. Reinforcement of clinical awareness, diagnostic capacities and surveillance of EV-D68 is urgently needed in Europe. Keywords: acute flaccid myelitis; enterovirus; enterovirus D68; respiratory infection; surveillance; typing.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article, please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field or click on the hyperlink at the top of the page marked Download
- Twenty-nine Cases of Enterovirus-D68-associated Acute Flaccid Myelitis in Europe 2016: A Case Series and Epidemiologic Overview.
- Authors: Knoester M, Helfferich J, Poelman R, Van Leer-Buter C, Brouwer OF, Niesters HGM, 2016 EV-D68 AFM Working Group.
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- The Emergence of Enterovirus-D68.
- Authors: Messacar K, Abzug MJ, Dominguez SR
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Emergence of divergent enterovirus (EV) D68 sub-clade D1 strains, northern Italy, September to October 2018.
- Authors: Pellegrinelli L, Giardina F, Lunghi G, Uceda Renteria SC, Greco L, Fratini A, Galli C, Piralla A, Binda S, Pariani E, Baldanti F
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Enterovirus D68 Infection in Children with Acute Flaccid Myelitis, Colorado, USA, 2014.
- Authors: Aliabadi N, Messacar K, Pastula DM, Robinson CC, Leshem E, Sejvar JJ, Nix WA, Oberste MS, Feikin DR, Dominguez SR
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Enterovirus D-68 Molecular Virology, Epidemiology, and Treatment: an Update and Way Forward.
- Authors: Ebada MA, Fayed N, Alkanj S, Allah AW
- Issue date: 2021