Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThorax 2006, 61(9):805-8
AbstractBACKGROUND: Cryptogenic organising pneumonia (COP) has also been called idiopathic bronchiolitis obliterans organising pneumonia. In secondary organising pneumonia (SOP) the causes can be identified or it occurs in a characteristic clinical context. The aim of this study was to determine the incidence and epidemiological features of COP and SOP nationwide in Iceland over an extended period. METHODS: A retrospective study of organising pneumonia (OP) in Iceland over 20 years was conducted and the epidemiology and survival were studied. All pathological reports of patients diagnosed with or suspected of having COP or SOP in the period 1984-2003 were identified and the pathology samples were re-evaluated using strict diagnostic criteria. RESULTS: After re-evaluation, 104 patients fulfilled the diagnostic criteria for OP (58 COP and 46 SOP). The mean annual incidence of OP was 1.97/100 000 population (1.10/100 000 for COP and 0.87/100 000 for SOP). The mean age at diagnosis was 67 years with a wide age range. The most common causes of death were lung diseases other than OP, and only one patient died from OP. Patients with OP had a lower rate of survival than the general population, but there was no statistical difference between COP and SOP. CONCLUSIONS: The incidence of OP is higher than previously reported, suggesting that OP needs to be considered as a diagnosis more often than has been done in the past.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Link field
- [Organising Pneumonia - a review and results from Icelandic studies].
- Authors: Sveinsson OA, Isaksson HJ, Gudmundsson G
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Clinical features in secondary and cryptogenic organising pneumonia.
- Authors: Sveinsson OA, Isaksson HJ, Sigvaldason A, Yngvason F, Aspelund T, Gudmundsson G
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Comparison between cryptogenic organizing pneumonia and connective tissue disease-related organizing pneumonia.
- Authors: Yoo JW, Song JW, Jang SJ, Lee CK, Kim MY, Lee HK, Jegal Y, Kim DS
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Organizing pneumonia. Features and prognosis of cryptogenic, secondary, and focal variants.
- Authors: Lohr RH, Boland BJ, Douglas WW, Dockrell DH, Colby TV, Swensen SJ, Wollan PC, Silverstein MD
- Issue date: 1997 Jun 23
- A comparison of the pathological, clinical and radiographical, features of cryptogenic organising pneumonia, acute fibrinous and organising pneumonia and granulomatous organising pneumonia.
- Authors: Feinstein MB, DeSouza SA, Moreira AL, Stover DE, Heelan RT, Iyriboz TA, Taur Y, Travis WD
- Issue date: 2015 Jun