The effects of adrenocorticotrophic hormone and an equivalent dose of cortisol on the serum concentrations of lipids, lipoproteins, and apolipoproteins
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMetab. Clin. Exp. 2006, 55(8):1083-7
AbstractPrevious studies have shown a strong lipid-lowering effect of adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH) in healthy individuals and in patients with different kinds of dyslipoproteinemia. The mechanism behind this effect has not been established and its direct ACTH-specific nature has been questioned. Therefore, the present study was performed. Thirty healthy young males were randomized into 3 groups of equal size: one group received ACTH1-24 1 mg IM, daily for 4 days, another group was treated with cortisol 150 mg ID (50 mg tid) daily for 4 days, whereas a control group was observed for 4 days. Fasting blood samples were collected before and after treatment or observation. The serum concentrations of cholesterol (12%, P < .05), low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (24%, P < .01), and apolipoprotein (apo) B (31%, P < .01) decreased significantly in the ACTH group but not in the cortisol and control groups. The statistical workup confirmed that only ACTH had a lowering effect on the apo B-containing lipoproteins. In contrast, the results indicated conformity between the treatment groups with respect to increases in the serum apo E concentrations. There were inconsistent changes in the serum concentrations of the triglycerides, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, apo A, and lipoprotein(a). The main results were clear: the lowering effect of ACTH on the serum concentration of apo B-containing lipoproteins could not be ascribed to cortisol. These, in combination with previous in vitro results, indicated an ACTH-specific effect.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Effects of different doses of adrenocorticotrophic hormone on the serum lipoprotein profile in healthy subjects.
- Authors: Rafnsson AT, Johannsson M, Olafsson I, Dallongeville J, Erfurth EM, Berg AL, Arnadottir M
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Effect of dialysis type on serum lipids, apolipoproteins, and lipoproteins.
- Authors: Kanbay M, Delibasi T, Kaya A, Aydogan T, Koca C, Akcay A, Duranay M, Yigitoglu R
- Issue date: 2006
- The effects of two monophasic oral contraceptives containing 30 mcg of ethinyl estradiol and either 2 mg of chlormadinone acetate or 0.15 mg of desogestrel on lipid, hormone and metabolic parameters.
- Authors: Winkler UH, Sudik R
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Effect of prolonged fasting on plasma lipids, lipoproteins and apolipoprotein B in 12 physicians participating in a hunger strike: an observational study.
- Authors: Fainaru M, Schafer Z
- Issue date: 2000 Mar
- Normal and gestational diabetic pregnancies. Lipids, lipoproteins and apolipoproteins.
- Authors: de Arcos F, Castelo-Branco C, Casals E, Sanllehy C, Cararach V
- Issue date: 1998 Feb