Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ. Med. Virol. 2005, 77(4):481-5
AbstractAt present eight hepatitis B virus (HBV) genotypes have been characterized: A to H. The most common genotype in Northern Europe is genotype A. So far there is no record of the specific HBV genotype distribution in Iceland. Iceland has a small population whose homogeneity has changed due to increasing migration during the past decades. The distribution of HBV genotypes in Iceland was analyzed using sera from 170 Icelandic patients. The samples were obtained before 1989, during an HBV epidemic among intravenous drug users in 1989 to 1992 and after 1994. A fragment of the HBV S-gene was amplified, sequenced and subjected to phylogenetic analysis. Among samples derived before 1989 genotypes A, C, and D were found. Most of the samples diagnosed during the epidemic belonged to genotype D and a smaller portion to genotype A. This suggests that the epidemic was most likely caused either by an endogenous HBV strain or by a strain imported from Europe or the USA. Among samples obtained after 1994, genotypes A to E and G were found, but the majority were of genotypes A, C, and D. This is consistent with an increase in migration and immigration from regions in Asia and Africa during the past 10 years. Thus, the changing prevalence of HBV genotypes in a small isolated community such as Iceland reflects the influence of migration and increasing contacts with regions outside the Western World.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Hepatitis B virus genotypes circulating in Brazil: molecular characterization of genotype F isolates.
- Authors: Mello FC, Souto FJ, Nabuco LC, Villela-Nogueira CA, Coelho HS, Franz HC, Saraiva JC, Virgolino HA, Motta-Castro AR, Melo MM, Martins RM, Gomes SA
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 23
- Hepatitis B virus genotypes and hepatitis B surface antigen mutations in family contacts of hepatitis B virus infected patients with occult hepatitis B virus infection.
- Authors: Kumar GT, Kazim SN, Kumar M, Hissar S, Chauhan R, Basir SF, Sarin SK
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- [Identification of hepatitis B virus genotypes in patients with chronic hepatitis B from different nationalities in ethnic minority areas in Yunnan Province, China].
- Authors: Bian ZQ, Hua ZL, Yan WY, Liu MQ, Wu DY, Zheng ZX
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 14
- Molecular epidemiology of hepatitis B virus in Iran.
- Authors: Mohebbi SR, Amini-Bavil-Olyaee S, Zali N, Noorinayer B, Derakhshan F, Chiani M, Rostami Nejad M, Antikchi MH, Sabahi F, Zali MR
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Characterization of seven genotypes (A to E, G and H) of hepatitis B virus recovered from Japanese patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1.
- Authors: Shibayama T, Masuda G, Ajisawa A, Hiruma K, Tsuda F, Nishizawa T, Takahashi M, Okamoto H
- Issue date: 2005 May