Complementary and alternative medicine use in breast cancer patients in Europe
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Scott, Julia A
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSupport Care Cancer 2006, 14(3):260-7
AbstractComplementary and alternative medicine (CAM) has gained popularity among cancer patients in the past years. For this study, CAM includes any group of health care systems, practices or products that are not considered to be part of conventional medicine at present (National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine). The present study assessed patterns of CAM use in breast cancer patients in Europe. The study used a descriptive cross-sectional design, and data were collected through a 27-item questionnaire. The sample, which was part of a larger study, consisted of 282 breast cancer patients from 11 countries in Europe. Among participants, 44.7% used CAM since their diagnosis of cancer. The most common therapies used included herbal medicine (46.4%) and medicinal teas, relaxation techniques, spiritual therapies, homeopathy and vitamins/minerals. Younger patients with higher education and who had received combination treatments for their cancer in the past were more likely to use CAM. High levels of satisfaction were reported, with only 6.5% of the women reporting no benefits from the CAM used. Main sources of information about CAM were mostly friends/family and the media. Findings suggested that a high proportion of breast cancer patients used CAM, which may have implications for the clinical management of these patients.
DescriptionTo access Publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Link
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine among cancer patients in Israel.
- Authors: Pud D, Kaner E, Morag A, Ben-Ami S, Yaffe A
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Complementary and alternative medicine use in colorectal cancer patients in seven European countries.
- Authors: Molassiotis A, Fernandez-Ortega P, Pud D, Ozden G, Platin N, Hummerston S, Scott JA, Panteli V, Gudmundsdottir G, Selvekerova S, Patiraki E, Kearney N
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Complementary and alternative medicine use in lung cancer patients in eight European countries.
- Authors: Molassiotis A, Panteli V, Patiraki E, Ozden G, Platin N, Madsen E, Browall M, Fernandez-Ortega P, Pud D, Margulies A
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Complementary and alternative medicine use in patients with head and neck cancers in Europe.
- Authors: Molassiotis A, Ozden G, Platin N, Scott JA, Pud D, Fernandez-Ortega P, Milovics L, Panteli V, Gudmundsdottir G, Browall M, Madsen E, Patiraki E, Kearney N
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Complementary and alternative medicine use in patients with gynecological cancers in Europe.
- Authors: Molassiotis A, Browall M, Milovics L, Panteli V, Patiraki E, Fernandez-Ortega P
- Issue date: 2006 Jan-Feb