Health-related quality of life of patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillators compared with that of pacemaker recipients
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Arnar, David O
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEuropace 2006, 8(3):168-74
AbstractAIMS: Studies indicate a poorer quality of life (QoL) for implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) patients than for the general population. However, studies comparing the QoL of ICD patients with that of patients with other implantable cardiac devices are scarce. We hypothesized that ICD patients had a poorer QoL than pacemaker patients. METHODS AND RESULTS: All ICD patients living in Iceland at the beginning of 2002 (44 subjects), and a comparison group of 81 randomly selected patients with pacemakers were invited to participate. The Icelandic Quality of Life Questionnaire (IQL), the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ), the Beck Anxiety Inventory (BAI), and the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) were submitted to measure QoL, psychiatric distress, and symptoms of anxiety and depression. The ICD and pacemaker groups did not differ on IQL, BAI, BDI, or GHQ scores. ICD patients were as a group more fearful of death (P = 0.056) and showed more concerns about returning to work (P = 0.072), although these items fell just short of statistical significance. CONCLUSION: Contrary to our expectations, ICD patients had a comparable QoL with pacemaker recipients and were not more likely to suffer from anxiety, depression, or general psychiatric distress. These findings are encouraging in view of expanding ICD indications.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Psychological implications of ICD implantation in a New Zealand population.
- Authors: Newall EG, Lever NA, Prasad S, Hornabrook C, Larsen PD
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- [Sexual dysfunction, depression and quality of life in male implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) recipients--with and without shock delivery].
- Authors: Shiyovich A, Ben Zion IZ, Plakht Y, Amit G, Grosbard A, Katz A
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- [Impact of attachment style, social support and the number of implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) discharges on psychological strain of ICD patients].
- Authors: Simson U, Perings C, Plaskuda A, Schäfer R, Brehm M, Bader D, Tress W, Franz M
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- The ICD shock and stress management program: a randomized trial of psychosocial treatment to optimize quality of life in ICD patients.
- Authors: Sears SF, Sowell LD, Kuhl EA, Kovacs AH, Serber ER, Handberg E, Kneipp SM, Zineh I, Conti JB
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Resource loss predicts depression and anxiety among patients treated with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator.
- Authors: Luyster FS, Hughes JW, Waechter D, Josephson R
- Issue date: 2006 Sep-Oct