Complementary and alternative medicine use in patients with head and neck cancers in Europe
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Scott, J A
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur J Cancer Care (Engl) 2006, 15(1):19-24
AbstractThe aim of the present study was to examine the patterns of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use in a sample of head and neck cancer patients, forming part of a larger study. A cross-sectional survey design was used collecting data through a descriptive 27-item questionnaire in nine countries in Europe. The participants were 75 patients with head and neck cancers. The prevalence rate of CAM use was 22.7%. The most common therapies used were herbal medicine (47%), medicinal teas (23.5%), use of vitamins/minerals (11.8%) and visualization (11.8%). Use of CAM dramatically increased after the diagnosis with cancer (i.e. eightfold increase in the use of herbs). A profile of CAM users was not evident in this sample. Patients used CAM for a variety of reasons together, with counteracting the ill effects from cancer and its treatment being the most common one. Information about CAM was obtained mostly from friends and family. As one in five head and neck cancer patients use CAM it is important that clinicians explore practices with their patients, improve communication about CAM with them and assist those who want to use CAM in using appropriate and safe therapies.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Complementary and alternative medicine use in patients with haematological malignancies in Europe.
- Authors: Molassiotis A, Margulies A, Fernandez-Ortega P, Pud D, Panteli V, Bruyns I, Scott JA, Gudmundsdottir G, Browall M, Madsen E, Ozden G, Magri M, Selvekerova S, Platin N, Kearney N, Patiraki E
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Complementary and alternative medicine use in colorectal cancer patients in seven European countries.
- Authors: Molassiotis A, Fernandez-Ortega P, Pud D, Ozden G, Platin N, Hummerston S, Scott JA, Panteli V, Gudmundsdottir G, Selvekerova S, Patiraki E, Kearney N
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Complementary and alternative medicine use in lung cancer patients in eight European countries.
- Authors: Molassiotis A, Panteli V, Patiraki E, Ozden G, Platin N, Madsen E, Browall M, Fernandez-Ortega P, Pud D, Margulies A
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine among cancer patients in Israel.
- Authors: Pud D, Kaner E, Morag A, Ben-Ami S, Yaffe A
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine in head and neck cancer patients.
- Authors: Lim CM, Ng A, Loh KS
- Issue date: 2010 May