Breathing movements and breathing patterns among healthy men and women 20-69 years of age. Reference values
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRespiration 2006, 73(1):48-54
AbstractBACKGROUND: Measurements in absolute terms of the whole respiratory movement pattern (range, type, symmetry, rhythm and frequency of breathing movements) of healthy individuals are valuable for reference, when assessing patients with conditions affecting respiration. OBJECTIVE: To establish reference data for breathing movements and patterns for healthy men and women. METHODS: Fifty men (mean age 47.8 years) and 50 women (mean age 43.4 years) aged between 20 and 69 years participated in the study. Anterior-posterior breathing movements of the upper and lower thorax and abdomen were measured bilaterally during quiet breathing and deep breathing using the respiratory movement measuring instrument. Descriptive statistics, paired-sample statistics and Kendall's correlation test were used for analysis. RESULTS: Breathing movements were symmetrical and did not change significantly with increasing age. The average breathing type for men and women was abdominal during quiet breathing. During deep breathing the abdominal movements were significantly less amongst the women than the men (p < 0.05). The average respiratory rate was 14 during quiet and 7.4 during deep breathing for both sexes. The rhythm (inspiration/expiration ratio) was 1:1.21 for men and 1:1.14 for women during quiet breathing and 1:1.23 for men and 1:1.40 for women during deep breathing. CONCLUSIONS: As men and women have similar breathing movements during quiet breathing their reference values can be combined. On the other hand, separate reference values are needed for men and women for deep breathing.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Breathing movements of the chest and abdominal wall in healthy subjects.
- Authors: Kaneko H, Horie J
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Effects of gender and posture on thoraco-abdominal kinematics during quiet breathing in healthy adults.
- Authors: Romei M, Mauro AL, D'Angelo MG, Turconi AC, Bresolin N, Pedotti A, Aliverti A
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 31
- Breathing pattern and thoracoabdominal motion in healthy individuals: influence of age and sex.
- Authors: Parreira VF, Bueno CJ, França DC, Vieira DS, Pereira DR, Britto RR
- Issue date: 2010 Sep-Oct
- Parasympathetic function during deep breathing in the general population: relation to coronary risk factors and normal range.
- Authors: May O, Arildsen H, Møller M
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- Normal thoracoabdominal motions. Influence of sex, age, posture, and breath size.
- Authors: Verschakelen JA, Demedts MG
- Issue date: 1995 Feb