Systemic lupus international collaborating clinics renal activity/response exercise: comparison of agreement in rating renal response
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Hanly, John G
van Vollenhoven, Ronald
Wallace, Daniel J
Alarcón, Graciela S
Bernatsky, Sasha R
Bruce, Ian N
Clarke, Ann E
Fine, Derek M
Gladman, Dafna D
Kalunian, Kenneth C
Madaio, Michael P
Rovin, Brad H
Balow, James E
Buyon, Jill P
Ginzler, Ellen M
Khamashta, Munther A
Urowitz, Murray B
Dooley, Mary Anne
Merrill, Joan T
MetadataShow full item record
CitationArthritis Rheum. 2008, 58(6):1789-95
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To assess the degree to which physicians agree with each other and with ratings obtained with 3 existing responder indices, in rating the response to treatment of lupus nephritis. METHODS: Lupus nephritis patient medical records from 125 pairs of visits (6 months apart) were used to create renal response scenarios. Seven nephrologists and 22 rheumatologists rated each scenario as demonstrating complete response, partial response, same, or worsening. The plurality (most frequent) rating of renal response by the physicians was compared with the calculated score from the renal component of the British Isles Lupus Assessment Group (BILAG) index (original and updated  version) and of the Responder Index for Lupus Erythematosus (RIFLE). The degree of agreement among the physicians was assessed by calculating intraclass correlation coefficients (ICCs). The degree of agreement between the plurality physician rating and ratings obtained with the established response indices was assessed using the kappa statistic. RESULTS: The ICC among all physicians was 0.64 (0.62 for nephrologists and 0.67 for rheumatologists). The chance-adjusted measure of agreement (kappa coefficient) between the plurality physician rating and the calculated score obtained using established indexes was 0.50 (95% confidence interval [95% CI] 0.38-0.61) for the RIFLE, 0.14 (95% CI 0.03-0.25) for the original BILAG, and 0.23 (95% CI 0.21-0.44) for the BILAG 2004. CONCLUSION: These findings indicate that rheumatologists as a group and nephrologists as a group have equal agreement in their rating of renal response. There was moderate agreement between plurality physician ratings and ratings obtained using the renal component of the RIFLE. Ratings of response using an index based on the original BILAG did not have good agreement with the plurality physician rating.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Systemic lupus international collaborating clinics renal activity/response exercise: development of a renal activity score and renal response index.
- Authors: Petri M, Kasitanon N, Lee SS, Link K, Magder L, Bae SC, Hanly JG, Isenberg DA, Nived O, Sturfelt G, van Vollenhoven R, Wallace DJ, Alarcón GS, Adu D, Avila-Casado C, Bernatsky SR, Bruce IN, Clarke AE, Contreras G, Fine DM, Gladman DD, Gordon C, Kalunian KC, Madaio MP, Rovin BH, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Steinsson K, Aranow C, Balow JE, Buyon JP, Ginzler EM, Khamashta MA, Urowitz MB, Dooley MA, Merrill JT, Ramsey-Goldman R, Font J, Tumlin J, Stoll T, Zoma A, Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics.
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- The use of the British Isles Lupus Assessment Group (BILAG) index as a valid tool in assessing disease activity in childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Marks SD, Pilkington C, Woo P, Dillon MJ
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- The American College of Rheumatology response criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus clinical trials: measures of overall disease activity.
- Authors: American College of Rheumatology Ad Hoc Committee on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Response Criteria.
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- BILAG 2004. Development and initial validation of an updated version of the British Isles Lupus Assessment Group's disease activity index for patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Isenberg DA, Rahman A, Allen E, Farewell V, Akil M, Bruce IN, D'Cruz D, Griffiths B, Khamashta M, Maddison P, McHugh N, Snaith M, Teh LS, Yee CS, Zoma A, Gordon C
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- An assessment of disease flare in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a comparison of BILAG 2004 and the flare version of SELENA.
- Authors: Isenberg DA, Allen E, Farewell V, D'Cruz D, Alarcón GS, Aranow C, Bruce IN, Dooley MA, Fortin PR, Ginzler EM, Gladman DD, Hanly JG, Inanc M, Kalunian K, Khamashta M, Merrill JT, Nived O, Petri M, Ramsey-Goldman R, Sturfelt G, Urowitz M, Wallace DJ, Gordon C, Rahman A
- Issue date: 2011 Jan