Clinical manifestations and coronary artery disease risk factors at diagnosis of systemic lupus erythematosus: data from an international inception cohort
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsUrowitz, M B
Dooley, M A
van Vollenhoven, R
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLupus. 2007, 16(9):731-5
AbstractSystemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics (SLICC) comprises 27 centres from 11 countries. An inception cohort of 918 SLE patients has been assembled according to a standardized protocol between 2000 and 2006. Clinical features, classic coronary artery disease (CAD) risk factors, as well as other potential risk factors were collected. Of the 918 patients 89% were females, and of multi racial origin. Less than half the patients were living in a permanent relationship, 58% had post secondary education and 51% were employed. Eight percent had family history of SLE. At enrolment, with at mean age of diagnosis of 34.5 years, a significant number of patients already had CAD risk factors, such as hypertension (33%) and hypercholesterolemia (36%). Only 15% of the patients were postmenopausal, 16% were current smokers and 3.6% had diabetes at entry to the SLICC-RAS (Registry for Atherosclerosis). A number of patients in this multi-racial, multi-ethnic inception cohort of lupus patients have classic CAD risk factors within a mean of 5.4 months from diagnosis. This cohort will be increased to 1500 patients to be followed yearly for 10 years. This will provide a unique opportunity to evaluate risk factors for accelerated atherosclerosis in SLE.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Accumulation of coronary artery disease risk factors over three years: data from an international inception cohort.
- Authors: Urowitz MB, Gladman D, Ibañez D, Fortin P, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Bae S, Clarke A, Bernatsky S, Gordon C, Hanly J, Wallace D, Isenberg D, Ginzler E, Merrill J, Alarcón GS, Steinsson K, Petri M, Dooley MA, Bruce I, Manzi S, Khamashta M, Ramsey-Goldman R, Zoma A, Sturfelt G, Nived O, Maddison P, Font J, van Vollenhoven R, Aranow C, Kalunian K, Stoll T, Systemic Lupus International Collaborating Clinics.
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 15
- Risk factors for coronary artery disease in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Petri M, Perez-Gutthann S, Spence D, Hochberg MC
- Issue date: 1992 Nov
- Atherosclerotic vascular events in a single large lupus cohort: prevalence and risk factors.
- Authors: Urowitz MB, Ibañez D, Gladman DD
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Hormone replacement therapy in women with systemic lupus erythematosus and risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Authors: Hochman J, Urowitz MB, Ibañez D, Gladman DD
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Contribution of traditional risk factors to coronary artery disease in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Rahman P, Urowitz MB, Gladman DD, Bruce IN, Genest J Jr
- Issue date: 1999 Nov