Allele-specific gene expression patterns in primary leukemic cells reveal regulation of gene expression by CpG site methylation
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Gunderson, Kevin L
MetadataShow full item record
CitationGenome Res. 2009, 19(1):1-11
AbstractTo identify genes that are regulated by cis-acting functional elements in acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) we determined the allele-specific expression (ASE) levels of 2, 529 genes by genotyping a genome-wide panel of single nucleotide polymorphisms in RNA and DNA from bone marrow and blood samples of 197 children with ALL. Using a reproducible, quantitative genotyping method and stringent criteria for scoring ASE, we found that 16% of the analyzed genes display ASE in multiple ALL cell samples. For most of the genes, the level of ASE varied largely between the samples, from 1.4-fold overexpression of one allele to apparent monoallelic expression. For genes exhibiting ASE, 55% displayed bidirectional ASE in which overexpression of either of the two SNP alleles occurred. For bidirectional ASE we also observed overall higher levels of ASE and correlation with the methylation level of these sites. Our results demonstrate that CpG site methylation is one of the factors that regulates gene expression in ALL cells.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- DNA methylation analysis of bone marrow cells at diagnosis of acute lymphoblastic leukemia and at remission.
- Authors: Nordlund J, Milani L, Lundmark A, Lönnerholm G, Syvänen AC
- Issue date: 2012
- Methylation of CpG dinucleotides and/or CCWGG motifs at the promoter of TP53 correlates with decreased gene expression in a subset of acute lymphoblastic leukemia patients.
- Authors: Agirre X, Vizmanos JL, Calasanz MJ, García-Delgado M, Larráyoz MJ, Novo FJ
- Issue date: 2003 Feb 20
- Integrated methylome and transcriptome analysis reveals novel regulatory elements in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Almamun M, Levinson BT, van Swaay AC, Johnson NT, McKay SD, Arthur GL, Davis JW, Taylor KH
- Issue date: 2015
- CpG-SNP site methylation regulates allele-specific expression of MTHFD1 gene in type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Vohra M, Adhikari P, Souza SC, Nagri SK, Umakanth S, Satyamoorthy K, Rai PS
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- DNA methylation for subtype classification and prediction of treatment outcome in patients with childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Milani L, Lundmark A, Kiialainen A, Nordlund J, Flaegstad T, Forestier E, Heyman M, Jonmundsson G, Kanerva J, Schmiegelow K, Söderhäll S, Gustafsson MG, Lönnerholm G, Syvänen AC
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 11