The Beck Depression Inventory Second Edition (BDI-II): psychometric properties in Icelandic student and patient populations.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNord J Psychiatry. 2008, 62(5):360-5
AbstractThe Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) is one of the most widely used self-report measures of depression in both research and clinical practice. The Beck Depression Inventory Second Edition (BDI-II) is the most recent version of the BDI. The objective of the present study was to assess the psychometric foundations of the Icelandic translation of the BDI-II, adding to its international knowledge base. Participants were in total 1454, 1206 students and 248 outpatient-clinic patients. All students completed the BDI-II and a subgroup (n=142) completed additional measures of anxiety and depression. The Mini-International Psychiatric Interview (MINI) and the BDI-II were administrated to the patients. Convergent and divergent validity of the BDI-II were supported. It discriminated satisfactorily between patients diagnosed and those not diagnosed with major depression. Confirmatory factor analyses revealed small differences between various factor models of the BDI-II, derived from previous studies. However, a model of three first-order factors (cognitive-affective-somatic) and one second-order factor (general depression) offered an acceptable description of the item covariance structure for the BDI-II in both samples. It is concluded that the psychometric properties of the Icelandic version of the BDI-II are supported in patient and student populations.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- [The Fear of Negative Evaluation scale (FNE): psychometric properties of the French version].
- Authors: Musa C, Kostogianni N, Lépine JP
- Issue date: 2004 Nov-Dec
- [Psychometric properties of the Beck depression inventory-II (BDI-II) among adolescent psychiatric patients].
- Authors: Besier T, Goldbeck L, Keller F
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Factor structure, concurrent validity, and internal consistency of the Beck Depression Inventory-Second Edition in a sample of college students.
- Authors: Storch EA, Roberti JW, Roth DA
- Issue date: 2004
- Psychometric properties of a Persian-language version of the Beck Depression Inventory--Second edition: BDI-II-PERSIAN.
- Authors: Ghassemzadeh H, Mojtabai R, Karamghadiri N, Ebrahimkhani N
- Issue date: 2005
- Factor structure of the Beck Depression Inventory-Second Edition (BDI-II) in a student sample.
- Authors: Whisman MA, Perez JE, Ramel W
- Issue date: 2000 Apr