Differences in the treatment of coronary heart disease between countries as revealed in the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S)
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur. Heart J. 1998, 19(10):1531-7
AbstractAIM: To assess differences in treatment of ischaemic heart disease in the Scandinavian countries. METHODS AND RESULTS: The Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S) lasted 5.4 years and showed that death rates in 4444 patients with coronary heart disease were 30% lower in those treated with simvastatin to lower serum cholesterol than in those given placebo. Apart from this main result, the 4S provided detailed information on rates of death and other manifestations of coronary heart disease, as well as on use of non-lipid forms of therapy. There were substantial differences in 4S placebo group rates of mortality, coronary deaths and major coronary events between countries. Surgical and medical therapy varied importantly between countries. CONCLUSIONS: Major inter-country differences in rates of death and myocardial infarction in patients with coronary heart disease were likely to be due to a composite of differences in baseline characteristics including smoking. They occurred in a setting of very uneven exploitation of the potential for improving survival of patients with ischaemic heart disease.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Cholesterol lowering with simvastatin improves prognosis of diabetic patients with coronary heart disease. A subgroup analysis of the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S)
- Authors: Pyŏrälä K, Pedersen TR, Kjekshus J, Faergeman O, Olsson AG, Thorgeirsson G
- Issue date: 1997 Apr
- Cholesterol-lowering therapy in women and elderly patients with myocardial infarction or angina pectoris: findings from the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S)
- Authors: Miettinen TA, Pyörälä K, Olsson AG, Musliner TA, Cook TJ, Faergeman O, Berg K, Pedersen T, Kjekshus J
- Issue date: 1997 Dec 16
- Follow-up study of patients randomized in the Scandinavian simvastatin survival study (4S) of cholesterol lowering.
- Authors: Pedersen TR, Wilhelmsen L, Faergeman O, Strandberg TE, Thorgeirsson G, Troedsson L, Kristianson J, Berg K, Cook TJ, Haghfelt T, Kjekshus J, Miettinen T, Olsson AG, Pyörälä K, Wedel H
- Issue date: 2000 Aug 1
- Reduced coronary events in simvastatin-treated patients with coronary heart disease and diabetes or impaired fasting glucose levels: subgroup analyses in the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study.
- Authors: Haffner SM, Alexander CM, Cook TJ, Boccuzzi SJ, Musliner TA, Pedersen TR, Kjekshus J, Pyörälä K
- Issue date: 1999 Dec 13-27
- [The Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study: the clinical consequences].
- Authors: Larsen ML
- Issue date: 1995